Vieja synspilum/melanura

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Yea they are growing moderately I think, not too slow not too fast...might be a little slower than usual bc I have 4 in the tank?

The smaller ones are about 3.5 inches for the smallest one and 4-4.5 inches for the two bigger ones. I wish if they were males they would show their hump head soon so I could re-home in hope of a female.

I have a feeling the smallest one is female (has yellow eyes)

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
I’m curious to see how that is going to play out. You mentioned the thought that maybe the smaller one was being outcompeted for food, do you still feel that way or is it gettting a full belly at chow time?

when I first started reading the thread just now, my first reaction was opposite of your thoughts on their sexes at 1”. I really hope it’s a girl for you! :D

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I’ve been watching the smallest one eat a couple of bites and gets chased off...it also stays darker colors and try’s to blend in with the surroundings most times...other times it’s just going about it business and staying out of any other fish’s way, it’s a def underdog.

Melanura are known to be difficult to sex until mature...I’m not expecting to know until they reach the 8 inch range. I’m sure some more experienced people can probably tell now, but I find the 8 inch range is a good indication of profile differences for males and females.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
My last measurement was wrong on My large male synspilum.

This time I could t have asked for a better pic. He’s right at 8 inches. He’s perfectly against the glass and then he paused for a minute as if he knew he was getting his picture taken.

DD1823C9-34B3-4D48-8781-DEFBC61EA1A2.jpeg

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
What u feed this babies ..I just got 4 of this ...1st day after putting in tank they eat hikari pellets which I crushed but after few days they started showing disinterest.. please advise
Oh my haha, my guys get a variety of food!

See picture :)

One of the algae wafers containers have been filled with North fin krill I believe (my dog ate it out of the bag so I had to put it in a container)
D93D9BD9-2BD2-40FD-BCA8-B0521C6D50AC.jpeg

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
For anyone who is following this thread, I will be re-homing the smallest syns from the pack. I believe the smallest is a male (though I’m not entirely sure) as my large male almost always tries to dart at him to attack the smallest guy. Thankfully the smaller guy is more agile and can escape the attacks fairly easily.

The other two small syns also seem pretty intent on chasing the runt away.

The runt has been in very dark stress colors and is trying to hide from the tank. He still comes out to eat which is good but it will only be a matter of time before he stops eating if he’s continually stressed.

His new home will be with someone who grabbed my gold jack a few months ago :)

C5F6F7A1-E547-4635-8A71-18A2CC2D6642.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store