How has the coronavirus affected your personal life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
It's been pretty ****ty - graduated right when the first lockdown measures hit over here and most companies stopped employment completely, now there's an economic crisis going on so still almost no jobs going. However, I know a few people who are at high risk and very dear to me and none of them have caught it, which I am very grateful for. So, it could be infinetely worse. My thoughts go out to anyone who's been affected.

Reactions: pacu mom

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Well that’s great about your foot, I certainly do hope things don’t take a turn for the worst regarding your foot or your health comrade.

I also hope it ends well for your friend.
Thank you Fishead.
I've probably got what they call a green fracture and modest joint/tissue trauma. Even though the bones aren't very green at my age, they will split or crack but not break through. I've had several minor fractures, from minor accidents like this, and from youthful sports injuries.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
He's diabetic, overweight, & has other issues . . . truly unwelcome, issues if one plans to live.
Hello; Do not recall if we have touched on this in this particular thread but it was discussed a bit somewhere on this site. The question of co-morbidities and their impact on the course of the virus.
I also have known folks with serious and ongoing health issues. Even before this new virus came along these co-morbidities have helped some to pass away before their time. I get the impression many have pre -diabetes and have a shot at avoiding full blown diabetes with some lifestyle changes. Some I have known personally did not take the shot and did wind up with diabetes. Not to say all diabetes is avoidable by any means. Some folks have co-morbidities thru no fault of their own.

So for what ever reason a person has a co-morbidity such a thing can and apparently does have an effect on the outcome when they catch something whether it be covid19 or some other catching illness. Some of the folks I am thinking of passed years ago before this new virus showed up. I guess it should be no news that having such co-morbidities and then catching covid19 makes a person's potential outcome worse. Same as it would for catching some other illness.

I still mow my yard with a push mower at 73 years of age. The mowers have had engines but so far are not self propelled. I can not mow the entire yard in one session any more most times. Usually three sessions. I can afford a rider but so far have not gotten one. I keep telling myself it is a good thing to get the regular exercise and such might make a difference in my overall health during trying times. I also get that some pathogens can do me in no matter how much I mow.

There have been a few incidences where the covid19 death count appears to have been inflated. Two examples I have seen and some reports of more general counting questions. In one case a man died in a serious motorcycle wreck while infected with covid19 and apparently was counted as a covid19 death. My guess is there are other such cases. It raises the question about the difference between dying directly "from" a covid19 infection and dying with a covid19 infection.
I also recall a time when doctors were instructed to call a death as being a covid19 death if they merely suspected a link. I guess now the tests make such guessing type calls unnecessary. At least I hope so.

I guess a question can be brought up. Lets use me as an example. At 73 and in good overall health I still have worse odds of survival from infections in general than younger men in the same state of health. I have an additional co-morbidity which makes my personal odds a bit worse. If I am lucky enough to avoid all infections such as the flu and including covid19 then I might live to be 74.
However just being 73 also means I can die of old age at any time of "natural causes". Natural causes sort of being that a 73 year old body can give up for no specific reason, just the sort of accumulated reasons having lived 73 years brings about.

Bottom line after many months seems to be what was suspected early on in this pandemic. Old folks have greater odds of passing if they get this virus much as they do if catching other illness. Older folks with co-morbidities have even greater odds. Younger folks with certain co-morbidities are also at greater risk because of those co-morbidities.
Even so the numbers are that something like 95% of those over 70 do survive the civid19. Younger folks have a survival rate approaching over 99% is what I hear.

What am I driving at? I guess if the people I have known who have passed had not smoked or had not been an alcoholic or had not ignored their diabetes or had not been obese or had not done drugs and a list of other things they might still be alive. My father was obese, chain smoked and drank too much. My friend who survived Viet-Nam also smoked and continued to smoke after having lost most of his teeth due to tobacco. Years ago I read a book by Mark Twain called Letters From The Earth. A series of essays I guess. In one he talks about how he continues to smoke so as to have something to give up in the case he becomes ill. Did not make sense to me. I quit smoking around 1979 but unfortunately was married to two smokers for some years so got second hand smoke a while longer. I figure it this way, if I catch covid19 the odds are I will survive even at 73 according to the numbers. If I do pass then some of my old bad habits or my current co-morbidities likely will have played a role.

I will stop now.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I heard a medical report from Europe about how deaths are typically recorded there, vs in the USA.

It said that terminal cancer patients who present coronavirus positive at the time of death are not typically counted as corona deaths in Germany, for instance, while in the US they commonly are. A terminal patient here who presents Covid19 just last week, but has been on cancer therapies for months, is recorded as a coronavirus death. Maybe this results in extra emergency pandemic funding or some other consideration to the facility. I can't say.

But it seems that because of this, even though we spend so much for health care, we are far more sickly than European countries overall (and probably Oz as well, mate) if we are looking at this one number. Either that or it makes our doctors look like total failures.**

We will see this possibly evidenced in lower future US cancer death statistics, for instance. It might appear that far fewer people die of cancer here, and from that, this is the place to come for treatment when maybe it isn't.

I wonder if WHO or anyone else is calling for uniformity in these matters? If every region has it's own practices, wide scale statistical analysis will be futile. We won't know what worked and what didn't.

**In the US we have this romantic view about our heroic doctors. They are not all heroes of course, but we wish it so. We want them to be the best and brightest among us, but I don't think we're giving them a proper place here. It seems like the admins have given the medics a black eye.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
. . . if I catch covid19 the odds are I will survive even at 73 . . .
Odds are 100% we will not survive whatever gets us. I've crashed motorcycles and skateboards a dozen times.
Death didn't get me.

If I get Covid, well it had to be something. I almost drove an MG into a ravine during the spring runoff.
A school bus pulled right in front of my motorcycle and stopped dead on the highway. 50 schoolkids watched me do the full powerslide as I somehow slowed in time, wheels locked, leaned over, footpeg grinding, completely sideways, standing up on a 600lb litrebike like it was a 125 hodaka.

Consider coughing to death vs being impaled on a milepost or falling 150' into a raging cataract. . . .

I know this is morbid, but I do wonder . . .

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Should they have taken their masks off to sunbathe, or left their masks on but plastered themselves in factor 10000!

662089.PNG.png

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; An interesting bit is making the rounds of late. It seems to be the question about immunity after someone survives the covid19 virus infection. My take is if you do not get such an immunity as a survivor of the infection then the highly anticipated vaccines will not work also. My understanding is the old type vaccines mimic an infection with some form of particle from the virus or actual virus which has been "killed" and will start the body to generate an immune response.

I think the new type vaccines are being made with a new technique. A new technique that will allow a vaccine in record time. I will not get into the new technique right now.

I do have some thoughts on the most recent criteria changes by the FDA but will not post them here. Perhaps in a PM if any are interested. Maybe after November 3rd the topic will not be so political and might be allowed, but for now I guess a PM is the only option.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
It is amazing how our television has confused the concepts of TV moderator and inquisitor. When I watch TV from Australia and the UK I don’t see this much.

Being a moderator is a charity job. I’ve done it, and It takes a lot of time and it pays you in grief.

It made me more hostile in time. Now I don’t do it at all. I’m trying to adopt a more mellow attitude in my old age.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
TV moderator? There's no such thing anymore...just as there are almost no more journalists or reporters.

The job of a reporter...TV or otherwise...is to report the news. That's it; tell us the Who, What, Where, When and possibly the Why (if that is a known fact) so that we are informed and can then process this knowledge. The problem today is that every talking head on the tube feels that he/she is entitled...no, not merely entitled, but rather required...to interpret these events for us, and then inform us what we should think and feel about them.

Sometimes it's done by implication; the event is reported in a tone that makes it abundantly clear whether or not one should agree that it's good or bad. Wording and inflection is "spin-doctored" in such a way that one is led to feel like an idiot if one questions or disagrees with the journalists "take" on the matter being reported.

It would actually be funny if it weren't so disturbing. It gets even worse when one of these carefully-coiffed bobbleheads reads the copy on air for the first time...they can't even be bothered to scan the stuff ahead of time to ensure that they know what all the words mean or how to pronounce them. Just look grim and serious, glare into the camera with the desired intensity to convey the anger or indignation or pathos that you just know the audience should be feeling, and save the poor unwashed masses from doing all that messy thinking for themselves.

Homer Simpson: "Oh, I don't know what I think until TV tells me!"

Reactions: deeda and skjl47
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store