Just bought an Alligator Turtle. Help!

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Have you taken him to the vet yet? Any time we had turtles that came in with shell rot or something we had to keep them on just towels they had a damp side and a dry side and got changed every day. Sometimes we had to put cream on them or they got shots depending on what was wrong.

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hello,

Hope everyone is having a good start to the New Year! Sorry I have been MIA for a while. Really hope everyone is doing well through these trying times. Bowser is doing well. I recently just moved him into a 40-gallon breeder tank. Thought he outgrew the 20 long but once I placed him into the 40 it was more space than I thought he was going to have !! either way, he is getting acclimated but it's so empty, I have to buy a lot of accessories so he can hide/feel safe. Also bought him a new giant mancave cause he outgrew his original hiding spot!

Anybody get any new pets since we all last spoke or have any interesting stories? Let me know if you have any questions on Bowser.

Thanks,

Reactions: deeda and Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Glad to hear bowser is doing well!
How big is he now?
I’ve always wanted one of these guys (you hit the nail on the head for what I would name one lol)!

Reactions: Matteus

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Deadeye!

Good to hear from you! Hope all is well. When I bought him, his shell was like 2 inches, now it gotta be 5 inches. He's now the size of my hand with all fingers stretched apart.

Reactions: Deadeye

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
haha sick! This is making me want to get a turtle!
Having a turtle is awesome. I'm sure it also depends on which one you get. Had I went with a common snapper I feel like I would need give it more attention and socialize with them... Alligator turtles are anti social and keep to themselves which is perfect for me because all I need to worry about it making sure the water is clean/ enivorment is good enough and that they stay underfed! It's easy to over feed turtles because there so darn cute and are master beggers. My only negative with alligator turtles is how big they get... Other than that, I'm turtle for life!

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Very cool. I’m glad you are updating this.

what are you feeding him?
I feed him super worms, fish and pellets... He needs vegetables but doesn't eat any so I feed kale and all the stuff to superworms... Then I feed bowser the worms. He loves the worms so much when I dangle them, he chases it around the tank like a dog.. I give him fish for oil protein and mental stimulation.. I don't want him to forget about ambush hunting and the pebbles are for emergency when food runs out or little appetizers on certain days cause he just begs for food all day.

He also eats banana and loves grapes but you have be very very careful so they don't get diabetes... I rarely give him fruits though...

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store