Just bought an Alligator Turtle. Help!

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hello Monster Fish Keepers,

I went to a reptile expo yesterday and bought an Alligator Turtle. The breeder said it was 2 years old but it looks much younger. It is about 2 inches long not including the tail. He said it was his last one and I noticed a few things and while I tried researching the answer to these questions I found nothing. First, his tail is bent and not straight. Second, the right side of his forehead has a little white spot. Also, he hasn't eaten any turtle pellets since I got him... He hides under this ramp that I bought him and while he seems active enough where he moves around within the ramp... oddly enough when I come around to look at him he just stops moving and stares at me.

Woke in the middle of the night to check on him and he was swimming around in the open... looked he was trying to escape.

Does anyone have enough gator turtle experience to let me know what to do to get him to eat? Also is the bent tail ok? Any idea what the white spot might be? I would appreciate some guidance as I will do everything in my power to help this little guy survive.

Thanks,

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
So they're omnivores and will need meatier things along with veg. As to the tail it looks pretty straight in the first pic. If it's not affecting him it's fine. I would make a dry side of the aquarium for him to bask in they are not strictly aquatic. Maybe start with crickets or something similar if that doesn't work try fish.

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hi Polypterus,

Thanks for responding. Should I hand feed him the crickets or just drop them in the water? Someone else mentioned waiting 3-5 days to feed them as he must be scared/stressed with a new home/environment. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Update. I went to check on the little fella and he had his mouth open like he was ready to eat..... closed it as I got closer.. running to Petco to get crickets!!

Reactions: dr exum

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hey Twentyleagues,

I appreciate the info. Bought some Minnows ( 3) and guppies (2). Put the Minnows in first to see if he will eat... so far nothing... just standing still... I hope to wake up and see at least one missing.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Right now feed him various meats and veggies. In a few inches you can just go ahead and feed him your fingers and maybe a toe or two

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Blakewater,

You are funny!! If the guppies are still around the next few days will move forward with meat. Appreciate the comment. Had a stressful day with Bowser not eating so I appreciate the laugh.

Thanks,

Reactions: Raka and Blakewater

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
First off. What a shady breeder, sounds like some one I would like to punch in the head, and I’m not a violent person.

At 1 year an alligator snapper should be roughly 1’ or dinner plate size. That’s how big mine was in that time before I had to surrender it.

these guys get big and mean real fast. They have been recorded 3-400 lbs in the wild and live a very long time. Don’t put your hands anywhere near its mouth, and a be careful when you pick it up as it will also scratch with its claws. they are super cool, but I wouldn’t try and keep one unless I had a nice sized pond for it to live in long term. 300 gal min for an adult.

if you just got it yesterday it’s still probably adjusting and it could take another day or two to get used to it’s new tank. If it doesn’t eat the food you offer (other than the live fish) remove it so it doesn’t mess your water up. Also you will need a heavy duty filter for this guy, they make a huge mess. Lots of big poops, scales and often dead body parts of things you feed it. They shred their food with those nasty claws I warned you about.

super cool turtle, probably the coolest of all imo. But a huge responsibility and not to be taken lightly.

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hey Mattus,

Yeah definitely a shady breeder. Couldn't help myself when I saw Bowser. I was at the expo for hours and no one had any alligator snappers so when I saw him and the breeder said it was his last one I bought it. I appreciate all the info. Will give it a few days and clean the tank fully. If fish are still there I will switch to meat, shrimp or whatever else I can try until he eats. Filter is a must... Hoping to have good news soon....

Thanks,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store