Breeding Gar fish

Fishbey

Feeder Fish
Apr 8, 2021
I’m from sydney and I’ve have two males and a female gar fish at full maturity growth. They are legal to have here in Australia but they cannot survive in our wild habitat. So there are only a handful of us here that house them. Us as a small community have tried hormones so that they may breed and multiply and have not succeeded. May I ask for anyone’s guidance?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/special-tropical-gars.719448/
I’m from sydney and I’ve have two males and a female gar fish at full maturity growth. They are legal to have here in Australia but they cannot survive in our wild habitat. So there are only a handful of us here that house them. Us as a small community have tried hormones so that they may breed and multiply and have not succeeded. May I ask for anyone’s guidance?
Welcome aboard

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
giseok jung giseok jung

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Lots of gar keepers in Aus.

There is at least one person already producing spotted gars in Aus, potentially a second.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
The only people I know who spawned North American gar did them in earthen ponds outside. Ponds were roughly 50'x50'x4'. As I understand it they just stuffed the pond with feeders like gambusia, mollies, and other small fish. Then they spawned naturally in the spring. I don't think the ponds had to be that big but that is what they had.

At the risk of asking offensively stupid questions. When you are using hormones are you sure they are ready? Are you using a catheter to sample eggs and checking for nucleus migration? Hormones don't force fish to spawn, they can only take a fish that is ready to spawn and push them over the hump to bypass the final triggers for spawning.

Also are you going with in vitro or injecting and waiting for a natural spawn afterwards like LSU in the video below?

Gar Spawning - YouTube

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store