How has the coronavirus affected your personal life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Part of our social contract that allows people who have been vaccinated to not wear masks is that people who haven't will wear masks. It breaks down when the people who have chosen not to get vaccinated also choose to go maskless.

That unvaccinated people not wearing a mask may not put me at risk. But it puts my kids at risk, my friend who recovered from cancer at risk and, of course, other people who didn't get vaccinated at risk. And, of course, keeps us from fully placing COVID in the rear view mirror.
Hello; Well the good thing is the young are among the least affected if they do catch the virus. The numbers i know are several weeks old but best I recall is around 99.7%. I think I posted the numbers on this thread a while back. May have changed so may be better or worse.

Since you seem to have faith in a mask, then your friend with cancer ought to be fine with a mask on according to your posts. The truth although will not give a mask a good report in the fullness of time. Since there can be respirators that do work better than others it is worth noting how rare the good N95 masks have been. I saw the thin paper masks. I saw bandannas. I saw single layer neck gaitors. I saw homemade masks which did not fit well. Mostly i saw people not wearing them properly, too many noses sticking out.

But even the vaccine you champion is not 100%. Best I can recall is young survival is a much higher % than the vaccine.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Sad and stupid as that is after 600,000 deaths here in the US :(

The science could not be clearer on the benefits of wearing masks in preventing the spread of COVID-19 (and the associated sickness, hospitalization and death): https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

What's the disconnect?
Hello; Had this discussion on a different forum recently. Some on that site have the same opinion as you. Below is one of my posts on the mask issue. I used the article about Fauci since he has been one of the top officials. That forum is much more open than this one and I will give a link to the discussion if any wish. Several of us there have been going on about the general topic. We had a very interesting discussion on the infection rates between a lockdown state and an open state. California and Florida. You may recall the hue and cry about how bad Florida was going to be over run with virus cases back many weeks ago when it opened up. Well California stayed locked down. Their most recent infection rates are almost neck and neck.

A copy of my post follows:
Hello; (my comments) Found these two articles in a quick search. I will be some surprised if a couple of you find the gall to dish on Fauci. The second article will not be a surprise.

In the second article I pulled a quote from the end. There was other interesting stuff before that if any wish to take time to look.

The thing about most of the masks ordinary folks could find was they were well below the of a good N95 mask. I often thought of what a school principal did back when the debate was about how to protect students in schools. This guy had boxes of rocks placed in each classroom. The idea was the teachers and students could throw rocks at an intruder. OK I thought, not worth much but better than nothing at all I guess.

Quotes from the articles.

Fauci said masks were not 'really effective' at blocking virus, emails reveal | Washington Examiner

“Dr. Anthony Fauci said in an email correspondence last year that face masks aren’t needed unless an individual was sick and that the coronavirus was able to pass through personal face masks easily.”

““Masks are really for infected people to prevent them from spreading [an] infection to people who are not infected rather than protecting uninfected people from acquiring infection,” Fauci wrote to who is believed to be Obama-era Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Burwell in February 2020.”

“Fauci, also the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, added: “The typical mask you buy in the drug store is not really effective in keeping out [the] virus, which is small enough to pass through the material. It might, however, provide some slight benefit in [keeping] out gross droplets if someone coughs or sneezes on you.””

Masks Don’t Stop Viruses – The Proof | WSAU News/Talk 550 AM · 99.9 FM | Wausau, Stevens Point

“Final point by me”

“There is so much more info out there but I think I proved my case. For those who present studies that say masks work. Those studies always look at how a mask blocks sneezes of coughs. They show that droplets will be knocked down by a mask and not travel 15 feet. Well no duh. But what they don’t tell you is the virus still goes through the mask, it just won’t go as far. They are lying to you if they say it blocks viruses. But they usually don’t say that. They trick you with sleight of hand talking points. They say see it blocks droplets and bacteria from spreading far. But who cares if the virus still goes through. A sick person still contaminated the store you are in, and your mask will not stop it from getting to you. FACTS they don’t like.”

“By the way, even if I was wrong about masks. (I am not wrong – the science on this cannot change) But let’s pretend I am. Your eyes are still exposed and you can catch the virus through your eyes regardless. That is a medical fact that proves masks cannot prevent a virus from spreading. (Game, Set, Match)”

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Our CDC has funded plenty of rigorous research on this topic. Here are a couple of recent examples that summarize what we've learned over the course of the pandemic.

Long story short, from a public health perspective, masks work. They, of course, work better when people make the effort to wear a proper mask and to wear it properly. People can have opinions otherwise. But those opinions wouldn't be supported by science.

"What is already known about this topic?
Universal masking and avoiding nonessential indoor spaces are recommended to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.

What is added by this report?
Mandating masks was associated with a decrease in daily COVID-19 case and death growth rates within 20 days of implementation. Allowing on-premises restaurant dining was associated with an increase in daily COVID-19 case growth rates 41–100 days after implementation and an increase in daily death growth rates 61–100 days after implementation."

"Summary
What is already known about this this topic?
Wearing face masks in public spaces reduces the spread of SARS-CoV-2.

What is added by this report?
The governor of Kansas issued an executive order requiring wearing masks in public spaces, effective July 3, 2020, which was subject to county authority to opt out. After July 3, COVID-19 incidence decreased in 24 counties with mask mandates but continued to increase in 81 counties without mask mandates."

Reactions: RD.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Young people can catch the virus - "Children are making up a growing share of new COVID-19 cases in the U.S., accounting for nearly 21% last week. About 88,500 new pediatric COVID-19 cases were reported between April 8-15, according to the latest weekly report from the AAP and Children’s Hospital Association. Since the start of the pandemic, more than 3.63 million children have tested positive, making up about 13.6% of all cases. At least 297 children have died of COVID-19" (https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/04/19/pediatric-covid-cases-041921)

While most children who catch COVID won't die or need hospitalization, they absolutely can spread it to other children and, importantly, to members of their households, especially if those members aren't vaccinated.

One more reason for adults to get vaccinated :)

Hello; Well the good thing is the young are among the least affected if they do catch the virus. The numbers i know are several weeks old but best I recall is around 99.7%. I think I posted the numbers on this thread a while back. May have changed so may be better or worse.

Since you seem to have faith in a mask, then your friend with cancer ought to be fine with a mask on according to your posts. The truth although will not give a mask a good report in the fullness of time. Since there can be respirators that do work better than others it is worth noting how rare the good N95 masks have been. I saw the thin paper masks. I saw bandannas. I saw single layer neck gaitors. I saw homemade masks which did not fit well. Mostly i saw people not wearing them properly, too many noses sticking out.

But even the vaccine you champion is not 100%. Best I can recall is young survival is a much higher % than the vaccine.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Young people can catch the virus - "Children are making up a growing share of new COVID-19 cases in the U.S., accounting for nearly 21% last week. About 88,500 new pediatric COVID-19 cases were reported between April 8-15, according to the latest weekly report from the AAP and Children’s Hospital Association. Since the start of the pandemic, more than 3.63 million children have tested positive, making up about 13.6% of all cases. At least 297 children have died of COVID-19" (https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/04/19/pediatric-covid-cases-041921)

While most children who catch COVID won't die or need hospitalization, they absolutely can spread it to other children and, importantly, to members of their households, especially if those members aren't vaccinated.

One more reason for adults to get vaccinated :)
Hello; I guess we are engaged in posting links. Had a similar discussion on another site. Here is a copy of one of my posts. The implication is the CDC cherry picked some data in order to promote young folks getting a vaccine. Here it is. For those other than dogofwar who may still have questions I suggest watching the first 4 to 5 minutes of the Hilton link.

"Steve Hilton: Instead of trusting us with the truth they treat us like fools (msn.com)"

Hello; (my comments) Last evening the TV was on while I was working on an aquarium. Steve Hilton started his monologue. He said some things that caught my attention related to some of the discussion in this thread. Let me say I get some of you will dismiss the source first thing. So be it and if that is your stance do not bother watching the first three or four minutes of the above link. Others may may be willing to look into it.

The part that caught my attention was about how the CDC was using information to push for parents to get their children vaccinated. The story went that young folks were being put in the hospital at a rising rate with covid19, so get the kids vaccinated. Thing is when the push was being made public the information used was only partially correct. It seems there had been an increase in hospital admittance in March and April 2021, but by June the rate was way down. They left out the part about the hospital admittance being way down. If my written stuff is not clear watch the first few minutes of the link.
What is the point you may ask? We have been discussing about how those medical folks in charge are not giving us straight talk sometimes. This may be an example of such. I do not have children so cannot pretend to know how this sort thing ought to be viewed.

I decided to do some homework before posting about this and found some links containing the information, which are below. I figured it best to have some back up.

CDC director 'deeply concerned' over rise in teens hospitalized with Covid (nbcnews.com)

More teens are ending up in the hospital with COVID-19, now the CDC is urging parents to get them vaccinated (yahoo.com)

Hospitalization of Adolescents Aged 12–17 Years with Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 — COVID-NET, 14 States, March 1, 2020–April 24, 2021 | MMWR (cdc.gov)

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Here's thing: There's a giant difference between a peer-reviewed article published by scientists in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) and a video of a cable news commentator expressing conspiracy theories and opinions.

As each of us make decisions and look for credible sources of information, I hope that we understand the difference and place much more credence in the former rather than the latter.

Because there is such trust in the CDC's MMWR, there was a concerted effort "to water down the CDC’s famed Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports to align with.. efforts to downplay the virus." https://www.kff.org/news-summary/cd...-mmwr-editor-testifies-to-house-subcommittee/

Hello; I guess we are engaged in posting links. Had a similar discussion on another site. Here is a copy of one of my posts. The implication is the CDC cherry picked some data in order to promote young folks getting a vaccine. Here it is. For those other than dogofwar who may still have questions I suggest watching the first 4 to 5 minutes of the Hilton link.

"Steve Hilton: Instead of trusting us with the truth they treat us like fools (msn.com)"

Hello; (my comments) Last evening the TV was on while I was working on an aquarium. Steve Hilton started his monologue. He said some things that caught my attention related to some of the discussion in this thread. Let me say I get some of you will dismiss the source first thing. So be it and if that is your stance do not bother watching the first three or four minutes of the above link. Others may may be willing to look into it.

The part that caught my attention was about how the CDC was using information to push for parents to get their children vaccinated. The story went that young folks were being put in the hospital at a rising rate with covid19, so get the kids vaccinated. Thing is when the push was being made public the information used was only partially correct. It seems there had been an increase in hospital admittance in March and April 2021, but by June the rate was way down. They left out the part about the hospital admittance being way down. If my written stuff is not clear watch the first few minutes of the link.
What is the point you may ask? We have been discussing about how those medical folks in charge are not giving us straight talk sometimes. This may be an example of such. I do not have children so cannot pretend to know how this sort thing ought to be viewed.

I decided to do some homework before posting about this and found some links containing the information, which are below. I figured it best to have some back up.

CDC director 'deeply concerned' over rise in teens hospitalized with Covid (nbcnews.com)

More teens are ending up in the hospital with COVID-19, now the CDC is urging parents to get them vaccinated (yahoo.com)

Hospitalization of Adolescents Aged 12–17 Years with Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 — COVID-NET, 14 States, March 1, 2020–April 24, 2021 | MMWR (cdc.gov)

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Here's thing: There's a giant difference between a peer-reviewed article published by scientists in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) and a video of a cable news commentator expressing conspiracy theories and opinions.

As each of us make decisions and look for credible sources of information, I hope that we understand the difference and place much more credence in the former rather than the latter.

Because there is such trust in the CDC's MMWR, there was a concerted effort "to water down the CDC’s famed Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports to align with.. efforts to downplay the virus." https://www.kff.org/news-summary/cd...-mmwr-editor-testifies-to-house-subcommittee/
Hello; Interesting in that dissing the source is exactly what happened in the other forum. Over there only some sources are deemed acceptable. Here is the question, was Hilton incorrect? Regardless of him being the source he did present actual CDC graphs and data. Just in case anyone had difficulty I searched out the CDC information my self and posted at least one link with the same graph.

It does appear the CDC put out a public ad campaign urging folks to get their children vaccinate using a less than accurate claim of increased infection numbers in the young. Less than accurate because at the time of the ads the infection rate among the young had already been falling by around June. Go take a look at the graphs and information from the CDC and check the timeline for yourself.

The question is not who the source may be but if the information is accurate, or such ought to be the case. If someone gives me good information I do not care about the source.

EDIT- I read your link. It has nothing to do with the Hilton report. It was about Redfield and entirely different activities in a previous administration. Why???

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
So is the argument that you (and Steve Hilton, whoever that is) are trying make is that the CDC guidance recommending that children be vaccinated is wrong because, according to CDC data, hospitalization rates for children increased in March and April 2021... but were down by June?

If so, you and Steve are demonstrating that you don't know much about public health. And that the source - and interpreter - of information matters.

Here's what the CDC says about children getting vaccination: "CDC recommends everyone 12 years and older should get a COVID-19 vaccination to help protect against COVID-19. Widespread vaccination is a critical tool to help stop the pandemic. People who are fully vaccinated can resume activities that they did prior to the pandemic. Learn more about what you and your child or teen can do when you have been fully vaccinated. Children 12 years and older are able to get the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine." https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/adolescents.html

Hello; Interesting in that dissing the source is exactly what happened in the other forum. Over there only some sources are deemed acceptable. Here is the question, was Hilton incorrect? Regardless of him being the source he did present actual CDC graphs and data. Just in case anyone had difficulty I searched out the CDC information my self and posted at least one link with the same graph.

It does appear the CDC put out a public ad campaign urging folks to get their children vaccinate using a less than accurate claim of increased infection numbers in the young. Less than accurate because at the time of the ads the infection rate among the young had already been falling by around June. Go take a look at the graphs and information from the CDC and check the timeline for yourself.

The question is not who the source may be but if the information is accurate, or such ought to be the case. If someone gives me good information I do not care about the source.

EDIT- I read your link. It has nothing to do with the Hilton report. It was about Redfield and entirely different activities in a previous administration. Why???

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
My point in posting the link about the previous administration trying to change the data in the CDC's MMWR is that even they realized that the source of information matters. And that the CDC MMWR is the gold standard.

It would have been a coup for those seeking to mislead the public on the severity of the pandemic to change the data in the MMWR. Fortunately they were exposed and weren't successful. So I guess they left it to cable TV hosts to spread baseless BS ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store