How has the coronavirus affected your personal life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Some very strange stuff going on. CDC was forced to partially backtrack on its recommendation. Finally now, vaccinated people should wear masks indoors in areas with substantial or high levels of transmission. Vaccinated people may transmit the virus.

Here's the catch. How do we know what areas have high levels of transmission? There is one state which I will not name that had travel advisory warnings because of the high numbers of infections. On 7/23 they had 13,256 new infections. On 7/24 they had 14,258. Since Saturday there have been no numbers posted anywhere. The state has decided to give out only weekly numbers. haha!!! Let's bury our heads in the sand and pretend there is no COVID-19. At least four states have not posted any numbers since Saturday. And it is working!!! The new cases in the US have gone down from around 68,000 a day to under 40,000 a day!!! If all the states did that, we will have COVID-19 wiped out in no time. (I am being facetious)

Meanwhile in our tiny county of less than 28,000 people, we had 27 new cases over the weekend with 64 cases in the last 14 days. The public health officer stepped down 6/30, and the temporary acting health officer has yet to make any statement. Since he is only acting, he probably won't be making any decisions about anything. Meanwhile, vaccinated vulnerable people are now attending church and going shopping without masks, because the CDC director said they could. This redneck community has a very low rate of vaccination, and the anti-vaxxers were always anti-maskers. So now no one is wearing masks anywhere, except for a few paranoid people like me. I think we have a real disaster in the making. I hope I am wrong.

• Sad
Reactions: deeda

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
OK, I just found the answer to identifying counties with substantial transmission, since my County isn't going to help me.

My county is red, of course

• Sad
Reactions: deeda and Jexnell

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; At this time I do not plan to wear a mask. I am vaccinated with two shots and have been since around March. I do not work so will not have to deal with that. I do not fly so will not have to deal with that. I do eat out sometimes but only twice in the last year so I can deal with that if no place will let me in. I live alone so no one is forced to be around me.
The deal with the virus has not changed. The great majority recover vaccinated or not. Old people like me have around a 5% chance of death if the numbers have held. Being vaccinated according to the CDC means if I do become infected with the new variant I will very likely have a mild case. Well with high blood pressure I can have a stroke or heart failure. I will be 74 next month so the list of possible serious health outcomes is more likely than less, virus or not. I probably wake up each morning with less than a 95% chance of making it thru the day regardless as I am past the average age for a lifespan already.

Now if they are leading up to saying the vaccines do not work as well as they have been telling us for months now, that is another story. So far the official word is the vaccines work fine on the new delta variant. Some break thru cases, but if the stories are correct those vaccinated do not get very ill.

There will have to be some better reason than what has been told so far. The official story, so far, left more questions than answers. As is usual each should do what you think best. I am speaking only for myself. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Unfortunately I divorced because during this lockdown we understood how different we are
Sadly your situation isn't a stand alone case. It is an unfortunate by product of the pandemic. Couples who thought they were solid, once thrown together for prolonged periods of time, such as in the lockdown periods, are finding they aren't as solid as they thought.

I know that domestic violence went up drastically here in the UK too as a result of the lockdowns.

I hope you are finding your feet again after such an emotionally draining experience.

And welcome to the forum.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Well I have to admit, that in decades of marriage, we’ve had quite a few arguments here ;)

My wife is a unionist and I am anti-union. She had a union job and mine was strictly non-union. We have managed to not let those differences become a burden to us.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hello; At this time I do not plan to wear a mask. I am vaccinated with two shots and have been since around March. I do not work so will not have to deal with that. I do not fly so will not have to deal with that. I do eat out sometimes but only twice in the last year so I can deal with that if no place will let me in. I live alone so no one is forced to be around me.
The deal with the virus has not changed. The great majority recover vaccinated or not. Old people like me have around a 5% chance of death if the numbers have held. Being vaccinated according to the CDC means if I do become infected with the new variant I will very likely have a mild case. Well with high blood pressure I can have a stroke or heart failure. I will be 74 next month so the list of possible serious health outcomes is more likely than less, virus or not. I probably wake up each morning with less than a 95% chance of making it thru the day regardless as I am past the average age for a lifespan already.

Now if they are leading up to saying the vaccines do not work as well as they have been telling us for months now, that is another story. So far the official word is the vaccines work fine on the new delta variant. Some break thru cases, but if the stories are correct those vaccinated do not get very ill.

There will have to be some better reason than what has been told so far. The official story, so far, left more questions than answers. As is usual each should do what you think best. I am speaking only for myself. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

This isn't about each individual, it's about a collective group, and how their reaction as a group is going to affect the end result. If one is to believe the current stats, in the USA approx. half of the population is not vaccinated. That leaves a LOT of people that can get sick, some very sick, millions that will land in hospitals. Most health care systems are not designed to work at that kind of capacity. This isn't about the law of averages on an individual basis, we already know what the outcome of a big wave of sick people is going to be to our health care systems, and the people that work in them. It's not good. And that is precisely why the CDC just reversed their decision on wearing masks, specifically in areas of high transmission.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
And it appears that locally, covid is now spreading faster than at the height of the 3rd wave, and a 4th wave is most likely on its way. Hopefully an even more infectious strain isn't in the future.

Reactions: pacu mom

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
This isn't about each individual, it's about a collective group, and how their reaction as a group is going to affect the end result. If one is to believe the current stats, in the USA approx. half of the population is not vaccinated. That leaves a LOT of people that can get sick, some very sick, millions that will land in hospitals. Most health care systems are not designed to work at that kind of capacity. This isn't about the law of averages on an individual basis, we already know what the outcome of a big wave of sick people is going to be to our health care systems, and the people that work in them. It's not good. And that is precisely why the CDC just reversed their decision on wearing masks, specifically in areas of high transmission.
Hello; I went along and took the jabs. I went along and wore a mask in stores before the jabs came along. I drew the line at wearing a mask outside and did not. So I am not the best ant in the colony. This new push for mask wearing will have to have more to back it up on three fronts. One will be that the masks are shown to be more effective than they were the first go around in terms of infection control.
Second is almost the same in that the masks we worker ants can get are shown to actually block virus at a decent level.
Third that we commoners can actually get masks at the N-95 type masks level of protection. It has been well over a year now. ( 19 months) There was a slew of the mostly poor masks around, but I only saw N95 for sale once and at a high price. I can find tons of alcohol now. lots of inferior masks now. But not a good mask yet.

In countries like mine where the vaccines have been in large numbers any one of the approved age group can already have had the shots. That they did not is a personal choice. I do not know why as i do not ask people about it. I have done the thing that suited me. I am vaccinated. I will not favor another round of lockdowns. I do not favor new rounds of mask mandates from authorities who sometimes do not follow the rules they impose onto others.

Nothing wrong with doing something for the common good, but the action needs to have a value for the individual at the same time. I do not consider myself part of a collective group. Some individual rights are worth more than the common good and individuals ought not have to give up those important rights. The right to not have some authority force you to submit to a medical procedure, vaccine or medication is among them. Keep vaccinated me off airplanes and out of schools and eating places because I do not wear a mask is not something I favor, but can deal with. So far the new proposed mask mandates do not make sense for the vaccinated. Tell us the vaccines do not work well and we vaccinated will get infected and die, then we can have a turning point in the conversation.

So far we are being told the vaccines are effective for the delta variant. So far we are being told a pass thru infection is mild for the vaccinated. ( might even be less drastic than my reaction to the second moderna shot) Being vaccinated I do not need a mask. Some may want me to wear one but not for reasons that have any benefit for me as an individual. I took the shots and that is enough under current conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store