expensive cats?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
That’s how my aunt gets hers. She takes in strays (never more than one permanent at a time) and takes care of them. The first one she had followed her home, earning it the name “puppy.”
Much later she took in a pregnant stray, and gave her (I think?) and the kittens away. She kept one:
View attachment 1475920
I swear it acts more like a dog than her dog…besides the jumping on everything.
I remember staying with my brother in a 2 room section of a house that was rented and a young black cat came up to me. I asked my brother was it ok to keep her. Anyway looked just like the one in the pic. Black cats remind me of miniature Black Panther. Never was superstitious about them.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Here most purebred dogs start at around $1500, mutts are around $600. I suppose I should probably convert to USD. About $1000USD for lab puppies, $400USD for mixes.
A French Bulldog will cost about $1500 US now. I bought the puppy in 1995. All pure bred pups are higher in cost here. Also so called designer dog pups are expensive lol.

Reactions: Deadeye

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have a Savannah. They come in "F" numbers. F1 being a cross between a Serval and a Bengal, down to F7 which are really "diluted".

I think ours is an F6, so quite far from the bloodline of the pure wild serval, so you'd think you've got a safe bet with a pretty ordinary cat.....absolutely NOT!!!

Those wild Serval traits are with them, whichever "F" number you get. Ours is about 6 years old now. When he was younger he was a right handful, still can be at times. I'm so glad we got a really diluted strain and not an F1 or F2. I could only imagine what those cats would be like.

They recommend an outside enclosure for the lower "F" numbers, and after having to put up with a troublesome F6 I can fully understand why, they really are a million miles from your bog standard house cat.

View attachment 1475904
Nice lookibg cat and thanks for the insight.I dont recall reading that the lower F number Savs had a lot of wildness in them and were best kept in outdoor pens.

Reactions: Deadeye

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I have a Savannah. They come in "F" numbers. F1 being a cross between a Serval and a Bengal, down to F7 which are really "diluted".

I think ours is an F6, so quite far from the bloodline of the pure wild serval, so you'd think you've got a safe bet with a pretty ordinary cat.....absolutely NOT!!!

Those wild Serval traits are with them, whichever "F" number you get. Ours is about 6 years old now. When he was younger he was a right handful, still can be at times. I'm so glad we got a really diluted strain and not an F1 or F2. I could only imagine what those cats would be like.

They recommend an outside enclosure for the lower "F" numbers, and after having to put up with a troublesome F6 I can fully understand why, they really are a million miles from your bog standard house cat.

View attachment 1475904
I think it’s cool you could have gotten an f1 or f2!!! Here where I live I think the lowest f you can legally keep is f5

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I think it’s cool you could have gotten an f1 or f2!!! Here where I live I think the lowest f you can legally keep is f5
They are just so expensive,the lower the number the higher the price.I have seen them going for close to twenty thousand dollars

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Nice lookibg cat and thanks for the insight.I dont recall reading that the lower F number Savs had a lot of wildness in them and were best kept in outdoor pens.
I shrugged off the whole enclosure thing from the get go. I mean, come on, it's a cat, lol.

Before we got ours we did our research on line and spoke to a breeder who we eventually bought the cat from. I wanted an F1 or an F2 originally but when we saw the price scales between the different "F" numbers I soon changed my tune, lol. Not hundreds of pounds, but thousands!! In hindsight, that was a true blessing.

When we eventually settled for a higher "F" number she said that at least you won't have to build a pen in your back yard now, not that I was planning on building one anyway!

After a settling in period ours became very active and extremely boisterous. It was literally like having a very naughty toddler in the house, we couldn't take our eyes off him, and this is an F6!!!

The wife and I were so relieved that we hadn't pulled the trigger on a much lower F number. I can fully understand though why some people recommend an outside enclosure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store