New used tank! Vol. III

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Found another craigslist gem, this time it's in great shape and did not come with hazardous waste like so many people try to push on you. This time it's a mint condition oceanic 7-foot 220 gallon that a gentleman fishkeeper had kept in perfect storage for over 20 years.
20220122_143753.jpg
20220122_150013.jpg

What a score. I don't know what all treatment it's getting yet, but it's getting a full reseal at the very least, and glass crossbraces will be added to reinforce the decades old plastic trim.

I'm thinking of a floor level setup with a side sump, but it could turn into a full build with custom sump if I find the time and money. I almost don't want to drill it though, these old quality tanks are getting hard to come by these days, maybe just a sponge filter and goldfish tank.

Thanks for reading, will update with progress in coming weeks.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Well I figured it was time this old tank finally grew up and got a full time job. Spent months trying to figure out what to do with it, had ideas like drilling a complicated closed loop or even cannibalizing the 7' panels for a bigger tank build. Ended up settling on a back-drilled dual overflow, dual return design that is simple and practical, not to mention easier lol.
20220618_152036.jpg
20220618_153813.jpg

For those who would ding me for taking the easy way out, fear not! I'll be building a custom 100g scrap-glass sump for the old 220.
20220618_162358.jpg

More to follow soon, stand coming together, ordering plumbing odds and ends....thanks for reading everyone :headbang2

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
My little fishroom is a mess, but always is when a new tank is coming up. Getting too old to safely move these tanks around solo but the show must go on.
20220619_122116.jpg
It's funny I once had a distaste for plastic trim on tanks but have been very grateful for the sturdy trim on this one, as it allows me to move it around easily and saved me money and hassle by being able to place it directly on the lumber frame. Also no headache of engineering a top brace.
20220619_124658.jpg
This tank will replace the 72x32 on the back wall, which will be scrapped and saved for a later project.

That's it till the weekend. Thanks for reading.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
What are you thinking to stock it with?
That's a great question. Its almost certainly going to end up a FOWLR setup as soon as I can afford a nice skimmer. If that ends up being no time soon, I will move my SA community (PTC, pictus cats, lampeye tets) into it and set up the 63x26 tank for salt, kickstart my live rock and inverts there for a future angel or trigger setup.

Alternatively I've always wanted a large tank dedicated to loaches, maybe a couple dozen modesta loaches...

In short, no concrete plans, it will serve as needed, in Latin "ad hoc"

Last edited:

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
My little fishroom is a mess, but always is when a new tank is coming up. Getting too old to safely move these tanks around solo but the show must go on.
View attachment 1497781
It's funny I once had a distaste for plastic trim on tanks but have been very grateful for the sturdy trim on this one, as it allows me to move it around easily and saved me money and hassle by being able to place it directly on the lumber frame. Also no headache of engineering a top brace.
View attachment 1497780
This tank will replace the 72x32 on the back wall, which will be scrapped and saved for a later project.

That's it till the weekend. Thanks for reading.
Now those are some beefy stands daaaaaang lol… ??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store