What are you cooking today.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Lousy pic, but I was literally salivating and unwilling to waste time taking pics. :)

This is the last piece of tenderloin from last fall's deer, done up as a nice rare Venison Wellington, accompanied by a delightful Milk Stout courtesy of my home-brewing friend. Ambrosia!
20220729_193714.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Lousy pic, but I was literally salivating and unwilling to waste time taking pics. :)

This is the last piece of tenderloin from last fall's deer, done up as a nice rare Venison Wellington, accompanied by a delightful Milk Stout courtesy of my home-brewing friend. Ambrosia!
View attachment 1500246
It's still bleeding, you savage, lol.

Honestly, red meat is not my cup of tea at all, i'm a fish and chicken man through and through, though I do love bacon with my Friday fry up!

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
It's still bleeding, you savage, lol.
I want my steaks so rare that a good vet could bring them back to life. :)

And, on that note: Many years ago I had the good fortune to hunt in Africa, and one day we were successful in downing an Eland; the world's largest antelope, sometimes over a ton in weight, and the finest meat on the planet. As the skinners were getting to work on the gigantic critter, they carefully removed the stomach...roughly the size of a 55-gallon drum...and slit it open to dump out the gooey green contents. They removed the lining, gave it a quick rinse in some susicious-looking water, cut it into thumb-sized portions and then all began eating the still-warm stuff! The head skinner smilingly offered me a piece; I was a bit uneasy, and looked to the English-speaking PH (professional hunter; what we would call a "guide" in North America) for some guidance. He simply said "They consider this the finest part of the animal, a delicacy. For them to offer it to you is a rare compliment".

So...I took the proffered piece of grayish schmutz, and popped it into my mouth. It was...the most indescribably vile thing I have ever tasted. Whatever you can imagine...this was far worse. It was too big to simply swallow quickly, yet too rubbery to quickly chew into manageable gulps. So...I chewed, and chewed, and chewed...and chewed...trying not to let my face show my true feelings. The skinners watched closely, expectantly, and when I finally managed to gag the thing down I smiled and thanked them; they were ecstatic.

I looked at Stephen, the PH, and said "May I offer you the high compliment of a piece of stomach lining?"

He smirked, shook his head, and said "I don't eat that s***!"

Fortunately for both of us, my gun was not loaded at that moment...:)

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've been wondering about that for the past 20 years or so...:)

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Maybe...maybe not...I've been wondering about that for the past 20 years or so...:)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
They removed the lining, gave it a quick rinse in some susicious-looking water, cut it into thumb-sized portions and then all began eating the still-warm stuff!
That is disgusting, wholly unacceptable. Did this "delicacy" not even arrive with a side salad or a side of fries! And what's more, there's no mention of dessert! Lol.

Whatever money you paid for that hunting trip John, I'd have gladly paid double just to be there to see the look on your face as you chewed, and chewed, and chewed, and wretched, and chewed some more, lol.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
That is disgusting, wholly unacceptable. Did this "delicacy" not even arrive with a side salad or a side of fries! And what's more, there's no mention of dessert! Lol.

Whatever money you paid for that hunting trip John, I'd have gladly paid double just to be there to see the look on your face as you chewed, and chewed, and chewed, and wretched, and chewed some more, lol.
Sounds great! I'll send you the contact info for the outfitter; they're still in operation and I'd love to visit again.

I always assumed that was a once-in-a-lifetime trip for me; thanks so much for your generous offer! And rest assured, I will repay you by eating as much "eland tripe" as you want for your viewing pleasure. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store