Stocking ideas for 75 gallon tank

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
ID say pick what you want next like a pair of severums or gouramis then get those and enjoy the newness for awhile then pick your next fish I'm a month or 2. Shouldn't dump a bunch of fish in at once anyway, it'll crash your tank.

Reactions: neko1

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Could I do 40% water changes a week (I can bump it up to 50 whenever needed) but the fish would be,
- 10 tiger barbs
- The delhezi bichir I have
- A pair of red spotted severums
- Senegal bichir
- Either a pair of kissing gouramis or 5 pearl gouramis, (please comment if one isn’t adequate)
- (possibly) 2 African leaf fish
- 5 hoplo cats
If any should be deleted just tell me and I will edit this
. I would advice 1 or maybe even 2 hoplo's. More will make the surface area so crowded that the bichirs will probably be bumped in every time a catfish swims.
i think if you want bigger fishes you should be looking at around 5 fishes. More would probably be too much aggression and overstocking.
Kissing gouramis with severums/african leafish are a bad idea. They look to similair and when breeding the kissing gouramis will kill the rest of the fish.
I would advice maybe 2 species or just a pair of bigger cichlids. If you want a lot of cichlids you should look at malawi's or tanganyika(but the bichir will probably not be a good combination with that)

Maybe if you wane go african:
-1 delhezi
-1 senegal
-2 african leopard fish (ctenopoma)
-1 butterflyfish or (2 pearl gouramis, aldo they are not from africa)
-1 hoplo

Last edited:

PB&Jcichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2022
Ok then, here’s the new list
- 2 red spotted severums
- 2 hoplo cats
- 2 severum
- Senegal
- 2 appistogramma?

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Sounds pretty good but 4 severums may be too many, i tried 3 in a similar tank a few years back. One of them was always chased and had a ragged tail. I removed 1 and the other 2 got on splendidly.

Reactions: neko1

PB&Jcichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2022
I didn’t mean to put 4 severums. Just the 2 red spotted. Does the list seem ok with just 2? L would German blue rams work in the tank? Maybe a royal pleco?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The dwarf cichlids would probably end up bichir food, but the rest should do okay. Severums tend to be pretty passive.
Do your nitrates still come out of the tap at 20? That can complicate things.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Yeah a royal pleco would be fine but plecos are dirty fish and poop machines. Have you tested your nitrates out of the tap?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store