Wanted: big fish without heater

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I can't think of any large fish species that would fit into a 5 foot tank. Perhaps some of the small eels? Not very colourful though.

Yellow morph Chinese algae eater gets to 30cm? (not really a large fish). Can be aggressive.

Reactions: GermanDude

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
You are right, 8 inches is quite big for a tank that size and I would be fine with a low number of fish and a species only tank.
I like the algae eaters, but heard of their aggression too.
It's said to be no problem when they are in groups of at least six, but the tank is too small to try that.
And they could feel cold a little too, at what I intend to do about temperature, although they are pretty tough.

Reactions: latapy10

Theos.dad

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2021
Crappie if you could get them. They look similar to a cuban or jag with their pattern. Ozark longear sunfish are the most colorful Coldwater pan fish. Gorgeous things

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Are brook trout available to you? I know they can get big but from the limited cases I have heard of them being kept in aquariums they generally get to be 12-14 inches. Heavy flow and heavy oxygen may work.

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Bigear sunfish look nice, but I am still not sure if I can provide adequate conditions.
But I am sorry I surely can not do so for brook trouts.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
What you’re looking for in a small 100 gallon is way too specific for your rigid requirements. Either some shubunkins if they absolutely need to hit a minimum 8” or settle for some cool barbs like filament or mascara barbs and such

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
I am afraid that you are guessing right.
There are not many fish to be stocked the way I'd wish too.
When asking here, I thought there should be more options.
Still thinking it is strange though.
8-10 inches, colorful, subtropical, not aggressive= mission impossible.
3-5 inches, colorful, subtropical, not aggressive= many matching species...

I do thank all of you for your kind efforts.

Reactions: tlindsey

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Hi guys,

my nickname is no coincidence and due to no sane politics in my home country electricity prices are shooting right through the roof.

Do you know any fish thriving, not just surviving, at a minimum temperature of 68°F ?

I got just my 100g , 5ft tank left and like fish that can reach a length of at least 8 inches, are somewhat active, so no catfish or ambush predators.
And, yes, I like them to be colorful and not overly aggressive.
All I found by myself meeting the criteria, are goldfish and golden dojo loaches.

Have a nice day!
Not a fish but have you considered amphiuma? Aquatic caecellians and other aquatic salamanders thrive in temps 50-70 65-68 being standard.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Ive also kept firemouths at 65. Ive kept most central american cichlids in unheated tanks but the firemouths were kept in a particularly cold room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store