Wanted: big fish without heater

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Hi guys,

my nickname is no coincidence and due to no sane politics in my home country electricity prices are shooting right through the roof.

Do you know any fish thriving, not just surviving, at a minimum temperature of 68°F ?

I got just my 100g , 5ft tank left and like fish that can reach a length of at least 8 inches, are somewhat active, so no catfish or ambush predators.
And, yes, I like them to be colorful and not overly aggressive.
All I found by myself meeting the criteria, are goldfish and golden dojo loaches.

Have a nice day!

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Gymnogeophagus species like gymnogenys, Balzani, meriodonalis, rhabdotus, etc

Austaloheros red ceibel

Crenicichla species like lepidota, punctata, minuano, vittata, scotti, missioneira

Tiger Knifefish

Texas cichlid

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Thank you, but gymnos stay pretty small the other ones can become aggressive.
And, I did not mention it initially, I don't want any breeding cichlids.
Mildly mannered, at least 8 inches max size, colorful ( no brown/ grey /black) and doing fine at a temperature of 68°F for about half of the year.
Maximum temperature is about 78°F in the summer.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
As I was reading your post I was thinking goldfish then got to the end and saw you had already sent thought of them. They might be a good choice, it’s rare to see them in a nicely set up tank And even rarer to see them reach their full potential. Maybe some koi would be nice in an Asian themed set up.
What about some kind of European native fish? I’ve got no idea about them but there must be something cool or interesting?
Unfortunately a European winter without a heater limits your choice quite dramatically

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Thank you, I was thinking about european native fish, the european perch is interesting, but gets aggressive, can become too big and needs it cooler in the summer.
Golden tenches are nice too, but they are not available till springtime.
Its rarely very cold outside, but heating your house a necessity anyway, which has become much more expensive too, its cost has doubled by now, but the increasing prices will still go on for a while 😏

Reactions: tlindsey

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
There are some larger barbs that can handle those temps but you probably won’t think they’re colorful enough.

If you want large, cold water tolerant, peaceful, not easily bred, and colorful…it sounds like you need some goldfish and dojos like you originally planned

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
"If you want large, cold water tolerant, peaceful, not easily bred, and colorful…it sounds like you need some goldfish and dojos like you originally planned"

That's what I thought, but both of them are not available at the moment neither.
There are some goldfish traders,selling online, but most of them keep them in ponds and the temperature is much lower than in a unheated fish tank.
That can cause trouble when the temperature changes so rapidly.

And keeping common goldfish feels a little to much in a 5 ft tank for me.
At least when they are 10 inches or even larger.
And I don't like the fancy ones, except Wakin.
But, surprise, there are absolutely none of good quality in here at all. I have purchased some online and they were low quality, never had bought them at a LFS.

You know, I think it is strange- so many cool water species ranging from 1- 6 inches, but a little larger, almost none.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Severums are the right size, tmeperament and colorful, but 68 would be a bit cold. They'd be fine in the 73-75 range which is less heating than some fish need.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Theses a few sunfish species that could work - pretty much a coldwater equivalent to cichlids.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Thank you, I was thinking about european native fish, the european perch is interesting, but gets aggressive, can become too big and needs it cooler in the summer.
Golden tenches are nice too, but they are not available till springtime.
Its rarely very cold outside, but heating your house a necessity anyway, which has become much more expensive too, its cost has doubled by now, but the increasing prices will still go on for a while 😏
"If you want large, cold water tolerant, peaceful, not easily bred, and colorful…it sounds like you need some goldfish and dojos like you originally planned"

That's what I thought, but both of them are not available at the moment neither.
There are some goldfish traders,selling online, but most of them keep them in ponds and the temperature is much lower than in a unheated fish tank.
That can cause trouble when the temperature changes so rapidly.

And keeping common goldfish feels a little to much in a 5 ft tank for me.
At least when they are 10 inches or even larger.
And I don't like the fancy ones, except Wakin.
But, surprise, there are absolutely none of good quality in here at all. I have purchased some online and they were low quality, never had bought them at a LFS.

You know, I think it is strange- so many cool water species ranging from 1- 6 inches, but a little larger, almost none.
that’s surprising, down here German discus and angelfish are regarded as very high quality and cost a lot. I would have assumed your goldfish would be the same high standard

Reactions: GermanDude
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store