300 gallon setup/sump build

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
If you have 3 drains, gate the first one? You could dial back the flow that way, mess around till they match. The third drain gives you some breathing room.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Im pretty sure they are but could be seating the bulkheads slightly off. Was soeaking to ragin about this off line and it could be multiple things. The teeth the weir could be slightly off too. Im foing to try different heights on the right side (lower water level) and see what i come up with. Ragin thought possibly lowering the right stand pipe would create more pressure on that drain and cause more water to flow.

Would be interesring if someone that had dual drains and seperate gates could chime in
I was going to talk about gate-valves, so ignore the statement...that was likely confusing LOL.

I think you on to something what the rate of siphon. Also, if your e-drain isn't equal length from bulkhead to top, then it may give the perception that one is draining faster than the other, right?

EDIT: Scratch this, duh. there's a single gatevalve. You could close the siphon with the higher water level a tad and see if the other overflow starts to raise - just to see the behavior.

Also, I like to put a zip tie on the gatevalve wheel (cut the extra) - this helps to set a point of reference as you make adjustments and keep track of how much you turn.

Reactions: JK47

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
If they are on the same gate I think you just have to accept it, just read the last bit

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I was going to talk about gate-valves, so ignore the statement...that was likely confusing LOL.

I think you on to something what the rate of siphon. Also, if your e-drain isn't equal length from bulkhead to top, then it may give the perception that one is draining faster than the other, right?

You could close the siphon with the higher water level a tad and see if the other overflow starts to raise - just to see the behavior. Also, I like to put a zip tie on the gatevalve wheel (cut the extra) - this helps to set a point of reference as you make adjustments and keep track of how much you turn.
Sounds like there would be three seperate places to make adjustments. The two ball valves and the gate. Technically you would only need to close the one ball valve a tad and that should even it out if im following you correctly

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

EDIT: Scratch this, duh. there's a single gatevalve. You could close the siphon with the higher water level a tad and see if the other overflow starts to raise - just to see the behavior.

Also, I like to put a zip tie on the gatevalve wheel (cut the extra) - this helps to set a point of reference as you make adjustments and keep track of how much you turn.
Good idea with the zip tie...i was using a peice of painters tape.

Yea i was messong with it the first day or two like a kid with a new toy just to see what it did lol i want to see if one e drain can hendle tje flow too. I think and i stress the word think they both rise and fall equally just being an inch off from each other id that makes sense

tech1628

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2017
chicago, il
Took a couple of vids. Have a couple of small things to do still.
I had to turn the pump to feed mode on the 150 to show how quiet the herbies are. For some reason its much louder on the vid than in real life. When standing near the tank all i hear is the slight trickle from overflows and the hum of the pumps. The polys are still really washed out but slowly gaining their patterns/color back.

Wow, that is really nice setup/layout.

Reactions: dmcskoolkid

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Im pretty much done. Just need to add the rubber duckie ;) ragin_cajun ragin_cajun

I tried to make an algae scrubber lol lets see if it grows anything. Going to order some grow light led strips and cover up the outside portion so the glare doesnt shoot back tinto the room or the sump.

Electrical isnt pretty but atleast its not on the floor any longer.

The water lettuce is definitely doing its thing. Growth slowed a bit as im at 16 lants now but i think its having some impact on nitrates. I tested today and got what looked like 10 ish on the 300 but got 20ish on the 150. I know its double the size but ive been feeding the 300 gal chopped tilapia and pellets all week while tbe 150 has a bunch of much smaller fish i bet the pearseis bioload allne is more than the entired bioload of the 150 gal.

Im really happy with the job midwestcustoms did funny thing i find myself looking at the sump more than the display.
20170226_104841.jpg 20170226_104853.jpg 20170226_104915.jpg 20170226_105029.jpg 20170226_105035.jpg 20170226_105041.jpg 20170226_105204.jpg 20170226_105216.jpg

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I couldn't find it. I think markstrimaran markstrimaran is active this morning. I think you had mad a fully enclosed scrubber.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store