All Bichir (Polypterus) Species - Updated

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
I thought it was mentioned that koloton and koliba are being studied as well. Any updates on that ?
Nothing yet, so far we can only say they're P. bichir lapradei variants, which is likely how the studies will conclude. :)

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
This is fascinating info - thanks so much for sharing!

Maybe it goes into it in the video / spreadsheets which I haven't seen yet but what do you mean by the Moke being a sister species?

Also, side note - your signature is great. I have always said bih-sheer I think because I learned french and it seems how it should be said. I've heard "biker" a lot. I appreciate knowing the best way to say it.

Also, if we are going to revamp our stickies in this subforum, koltsixx koltsixx this should certainly be at the top. Great care info on the fact sheets, where they're from, help distinguishing them from each other -- just fantastic info.

Last edited:

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
This is fascinating info - thanks so much for sharing!

Maybe it goes into it in the video / spreadsheets which I haven't seen yet but what do you mean by the Moke being a sister species?

Also, side note - your signature is great. I have always said bih-sheer I think because I learned french and it seems how it should be said. I've heard "biker" a lot. I appreciate knowing the best way to say it.

Also, if we are going to revamp our stickies in this subforum, koltsixx koltsixx this should certainly be at the top. Great care info on the fact sheets, where they're from, help distinguishing them from each other -- just fantastic info.
This red dot is an ancestor of all existing Bichirs, it diverged into P. mokelembembe and also into the other Bichir species, separating them. Hope this can help illustrate :)
Glad you like the files :)
11111.jpg

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Wow! That is fascinating. I'm a science and nature nerd so eat this kind of thing up.
I always felt like my Moke seemed sort of an in-between of the ropes and the other UJs. In a similar vein, Delhezi being a transitional UJ/LJ species also makes perfect sense.

I'll stop calling my Polli "Palmas Polli" now, too. ;)

What you put together is something I would have pored over many times when I was first getting into and researching bichirs. Wish this existed half a year ago. Ha.

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Wow! That is fascinating. I'm a science and nature nerd so eat this kind of thing up.
I always felt like my Moke seemed sort of an in-between of the ropes and the other UJs. In a similar vein, Delhezi being a transitional UJ/LJ species also makes perfect sense.

I'll stop calling my Polli "Palmas Polli" now, too. ;)

What you put together is something I would have pored over many times when I was first getting into and researching bichirs. Wish this existed half a year ago. Ha.

Haha I'd of done the same lol.
There was never anything that really touched on it in a way which communicated it well. The books and websites were using decade old information at least. Had to make something myself lol, King-El was a massive help too, really helped me differentiate between the older information and the new.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
wow Josh's Fish Josh's Fish ! This infographic with facts and pictures is absolutely fantastic! Very clear,organized, and concise information too. Very well done. Thanks for making this and sharing with us. Can''t wait to watch the video :) Are you currently helping out with the studies too? or is that classified information :p

the fine flip

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2012
italy
Just to add, the undescribed fish Polypterus sp. dabola is currently being studied in the UK and Michigan. Observations so far suggest it is a species of its own and not a wild hybrid.
It is likely a transitional species between the Bichir group and the Endlicheri group, but it is more closely related to the Bichir group, specifically P. bichir lapradei.

Hopefully it won't be long now til the study is finished and published, so we can find out.
Follow this thread for updates :)
That is some interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing this!

Reactions: Josh's Fish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store