All Bichir (Polypterus) Species - Updated

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
No worries, but I don't see how it can mislead anyone? The video was based of the charts which were made last year. I wasn't aware of the P. teugelsi reaching 28", but I expect it will get bigger than that still.

The fun bit about this is the information is always changing.
There's another mtDNA study ongoing at the moment which may be reclassifying P. bichir lapradei from Eastern Nigeria as P. bichir bichir also. If that happens, the differentiating by finlet counting will become more awkward as they have less finlets that a normal P. bichir bichir.

P. ansorgii were only thought to max at 10 inch at one point, that number has been climbing since. The P. ansorgii, P. congicus and P. bichir bichir sizes were reported from Kamihata and a Japanese retailer, I think Big-In? Might be pictures floating about in their archives, although none I've seen yet.
Towards the end of the video was JZX's Ansorgii, that was around 3ft, give or take an inch or two and estimated 7-10 years. That specimen had quite pale markings, there are some that size about which have retained them.
Personally I think the sizes on the video for many of them are small if any, but it's a case of the waiting game to find out if or how small.

In regards to the P. delhezi, they are a transitional species between Upper and Lower Jaws, which means their mtDNA is close to both species in UJ and LJ, whereas typically species UJ and LJ mtDNA isn't as close. It doesn't have to do with their jaw protrusion. :)
It should be the journal I cited that will explain more on it :) if it's not, it will be the closed access one which also covers the mtDNA of P. polli. You can request by emailing D. Suzuki.

I'm waiting for the next study to finish before I update the factfiles, but the meantime I'll update any changes to size, location etc. in the thread and video annotations.
I hope this clarifies Moe :) If you or anyone come across some large specimens, post some pics here! :)
It did, thank you, this should become a sticky once everything is more settled and figured out. Very beneficial to the forum. And I was referring to the pictures below the video, not sure if you made those, was just something I noticed. And I agree, I'm sure a lot of these can get bigger than we know and have kept them too. Until we all have set ups above 1000g and can dedicate tanks to each fishes whole life then we may know, but people lose interest to quickly.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
No worries man :) common complaint haha. It was deliberate to save memory and export time, and also a 20 minute video could put off people from watching.
In an updated version I'll likely give the text more time on screen then :)
Thanks for watching!
I still loved the video and 20 minutes wouldn't of turned me off maybe 60 would though

Josh's Fish Josh's Fish appreciate u taking the time to involve the mfk poly community. This is all informative and eye opening. Amazing material! We all would like to thank u!
yes thank you sooooooooooooo much

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
Josh's Fish Josh's Fish appreciate u taking the time to involve the mfk poly community. This is all informative and eye opening. Amazing material! We all would like to thank u!

As for growth. I believe what we presume on maximum growth in the wild has been underestimated. Believe they got larger in their optimal conditions. Just my opinion. Dams and all the environmental impacts, overfishing were damaging to their habitat I'm sure. Cataloging started when (1900's) and how long have they been around? :)
Completely agree mate. I wonder what the size on these factfiles will say in another 10 years :)

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
It did, thank you, this should become a sticky once everything is more settled and figured out. Very beneficial to the forum. And I was referring to the pictures below the video, not sure if you made those, was just something I noticed. And I agree, I'm sure a lot of these can get bigger than we know and have kept them too. Until we all have set ups above 1000g and can dedicate tanks to each fishes whole life then we may know, but people lose interest to quickly.
There is a few ongoing studies, but I think it's been pretty settled down for while really. Scientifically nothing much has changed getting on 7 years now, just too few people were aware of the changes. :)
It's a shame people lose interest, they're great fish! My favourite has to be wild Teugelsi, what about you?

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
JPMD, thank you this contribution. It obviously took a a great deal of time and effort and the product is reflective of that in its quality. I do feel that this should stickied at the top of the forum. Very cool to see a former MFK Bichir legend King-el's involvement

A comment on the listed Bichir sizes, while it is very interesting to see how large varieties can get it in the while. I feel it would be beneficial to include average and max sizes for aquarium specimens.
At one time, I believe Dr B had posted a chart with this information. It was a great guideline for members to know realistically what size fish and tank sizes they should plan for.

All we need now is the ability to order some laminated posters of your information!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
+1 koltsixx koltsixx what ya tnink ?
JPMD, thank you this contribution. It obviously took a a great deal of time and effort and the product is reflective of that in its quality. I do feel that this should stickied at the top of the forum. Very cool to see a former MFK Bichir legend King-el's involvement

A comment on the listed Bichir sizes, while it is very interesting to see how large varieties can get it in the while. I feel it would be beneficial to include average and max sizes for aquarium specimens.
At one time, I believe Dr B had posted a chart with this information. It was a great guideline for members to know realistically what size fish and tank sizes they should plan for.

All we need now is the ability to order some laminated posters of your information!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store