All Bichir (Polypterus) Species - Updated

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
The only notable changes since 2010 were P. palmas polli to P. polli and P. senegalus meridionalis described as a subspecies. Those may of been more recent.
Would just like to correct on this, P. senegalus meridionales was described as a Senegalus subspecies in 1941 by Poll and it was accepted by the scientific community. Very few images were seen of it til recent, so I think there was a lot of speculation to its existence, but it is indeed a described species. They are found in the Laulaba River and Lake Turkana. :)

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
I wanted to ask you a question about the congicus. Do you think there are any characteristics that seperate or define congi from the different catch locations ? Ive been intrigued with them especially the dark vs light congi. I have two and both look very different from each other from the head/mouth shape to the color (ones dark other is light) both do have the racing stripes in the head though.
I imagine there is, there is always variation albeit mostly nuanced with fish in different locations. It wouldn't be different for P. congicus. It's not something I've looked into with this species though, but I'll try to find out regional differences if I can. I'd like to source a dark P. congicus if I could too haha

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I imagine there is, there is always variation albeit mostly nuanced with fish in different locations. It wouldn't be different for P. congicus. It's not something I've looked into with this species though, but I'll try to find out regional differences if I can. I'd like to source a dark P. congicus if I could too haha
My two. Both purchased from other members.

Screenshot_20170318-193741.png 2017-01-21 23.38.12.jpg
Screenshot_20170318-193803.png Screenshot_20170315-225224.png 2017-01-27 23.30.24.jpg

Sorry for the derail.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Haha you have good taste. Did you see Mike Wai's dark Congi in the video?

The only notable changes since 2010 were P. palmas polli to P. polli and P. senegalus meridionalis described as a subspecies. Those may of been more recent.

The Dabola study is near concluding, which will be good to see the results :)
Lol thank you. And yea, that things a brute. I love the way congi, PBB, and ansorgii look when larger. Truly prehistoric.

As far as jaws questions about congi, someone made a thread not to long ago comparing congi, if anyone remembers its name they should link it.

And maybe the famous larger growing lake turkana senegal was really meridionalis.

And I like reading through scientific papers though I don't understand everything lol so look forward to the conclusion

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Lol thank you. And yea, that things a brute. I love the way congi, PBB, and ansorgii look when larger. Truly prehistoric.

As far as jaws questions about congi, someone made a thread not to long ago comparing congi, if anyone remembers its name they should link it.

And maybe the famous larger growing lake turkana senegal was really meridionalis.

And I like reading through scientific papers though I don't understand everything lol so look forward to the conclusion
Once I published that video, I was made aware of the large thick-bodied Lake Turkana P. senegalus senegalus I included (if that's the one you're referring to), has been recognised as a P. senegalus meridionales now too. I added a correction through an annotation, but don't think you can view them on mobile, so wrote in the description too. :)

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Thankyou, how did you like the video? :)
I'm in contact with some of the researchers through Facebook and email. They like to post updates on what we could expect to see via the Facebook group Polypterid Fanatics before their journals are published, such as P. Rizzato (who just published his Ropefish study) and R. Kik who is studying Dabola.
I did like the video. Loved the footage of each of the species. :) And the music was a nice added touch. I know video editing takes a LONGGGGGGG time, and I definitely see the work that went in. Very high quality information, videos, and specimens.

My favorite part was the species field guide with the name, size, finlet, and catch location.
- descriptors were clear
- still photos were tastefully incorporated. didn't look like a powerpoint slide show
-enjoyed the timing of each segment for each species. It gave enough time/multiple views of the specimen, while providing identifying characteristics. However, when there was a paragraph of information, I could not finish reading that before the next slide.

Here I am nitpicking about the video:
- the pacing of text was a little fast and very hard for me to finish reading before the paragraphs switched.This happened for almost every slide. Which frustrated me a little . But maybe I am just a slow reader. :p Felt very rushed. Perhaps breaking up/slowing down the information into multiple slides, or doing longer video footage before changing bullets or paragraphs would help with the timing. I did like the inclusion of some sentences though. If no one else is having this problem, please disregard my comment.

*The speed was better for the specimen field guide portion. That way you could focus on the fish and read the descriptors.

I know you mentioned having to trim the video down from 20 mins. think I would have enjoyed either a long video or perhaps splitting it into a series of videos: bichir care, anatomy/physiology, IDing bichir species, etc.

- I thought the font was hard to read at times and detracted from the quality of information and visuals. Would have appreciated text off to the side/bottom with or without/contrasting background for the slides that contained the most information. I wanted to also see the bichirs while reading the info. Or even a thicker font/bolder font to make it easier to read. Although sometimes putting text over videos distorts the text. Again, I thought the organization of the bichir ID guide and text layout was very appealing.

Sorry for being an $!@#. Just wanted to give some unsolicited feedback about minor things. Either way, I think you did great job! I know it is very tedious work to make a video and I definitely couldn't do it.Nor am I an expert on video editing or bichirs. Nevertheless, I really am enjoying all the new information and enthusiasm you are bringing to the community. It is an honor learning from you. :)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Idk i thought the vid was perfect. Hard.to watch a 20 min video. The info guys is the best part. We hardly get some factual info on these fish other than us guessing and comparing our own fish. This was truly informative for me

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Idk i thought the vid was perfect. Hard.to watch a 20 min video. The info guys is the best part. We hardly get some factual info on these fish other than us guessing and comparing our own fish. This was truly informative for me
Yes!The info is golden! It is like everything I wanted to know in 7 minutes!

Reactions: jaws7777

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I did like the video. Loved the footage of each of the species. :) And the music was a nice added touch. I know video editing takes a LONGGGGGGG time, and I definitely see the work that went in. Very high quality information, videos, and specimens.

My favorite part was the species field guide with the name, size, finlet, and catch location.
- descriptors were clear
- still photos were tastefully incorporated. didn't look like a powerpoint slide show
-enjoyed the timing of each segment for each species. It gave enough time/multiple views of the specimen, while providing identifying characteristics. However, when there was a paragraph of information, I could not finish reading that before the next slide.

Here I am nitpicking about the video:
- the pacing of text was a little fast and very hard for me to finish reading before the paragraphs switched.This happened for almost every slide. Which frustrated me a little . But maybe I am just a slow reader. :p Felt very rushed. Perhaps breaking up/slowing down the information into multiple slides, or doing longer video footage before changing bullets or paragraphs would help with the timing. I did like the inclusion of some sentences though. If no one else is having this problem, please disregard my comment.

*The speed was better for the specimen field guide portion. That way you could focus on the fish and read the descriptors.

I know you mentioned having to trim the video down from 20 mins. think I would have enjoyed either a long video or perhaps splitting it into a series of videos: bichir care, anatomy/physiology, IDing bichir species, etc.

- I thought the font was hard to read at times and detracted from the quality of information and visuals. Would have appreciated text off to the side/bottom with or without/contrasting background for the slides that contained the most information. I wanted to also see the bichirs while reading the info. Or even a thicker font/bolder font to make it easier to read. Although sometimes putting text over videos distorts the text. Again, I thought the organization of the bichir ID guide and text layout was very appealing.

Sorry for being an $!@#. Just wanted to give some unsolicited feedback about minor things. Either way, I think you did great job! I know it is very tedious work to make a video and I definitely couldn't do it.Nor am I an expert on video editing or bichirs. Nevertheless, I really am enjoying all the new information and enthusiasm you are bringing to the community. It is an honor learning from you. :)
Josh's Fish Josh's Fish I retract my comment about the font. Apparently my 10 year old computer just sucks and didn't show it in HD. Just watched it on my phone and everything was very clear and crisp! The pacing was also better on my phone. Perhaps I was having an issue with YouTube pixel clarity and speed on my computer? The beginning was slower this time. Will learn to use the pause button for the longer slides. :p Im going to watch this video every day for a while! Again wonderful work :) super excited to watch it again. The anal cupping video is so neat. There's a sentence I never thought I'd say lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store