All Bichir (Polypterus) Species - Updated

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Adding T thefredpit list of sizes. This should be stickied somewhere.

1110554-d976242f6e5d5793b38ba21b8da506ac.jpg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
YWC = young wild caught? Wonder why the smaller size than WC? Is it because people haven't kept them for life (keep rehoming) or die prematurely due to overfeeding (aka fatty liver disease)?

Reactions: clm08k

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
YWC = young wild caught? Wonder why the smaller size than WC? Is it because people haven't kept them for life (keep rehoming) or die prematurely due to overfeeding (aka fatty liver disease)?
I think its referring to a young wc fish raised in an aquarium and not reaching its full potential compared to adult wc fish that are captured at immense sizes. Some vids from over seas depict massive congicus and ansorgii but i think its uncommon to gain those sizes in our average aquariums. Hao Hao usually posts giant polys from asia. He could provide more insight

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Adding T thefredpit list of sizes. This should be stickied somewhere.

View attachment 1354242
Some of the sizes are not up to date though.

I think the main reason why YWC don't get as large is because of two main factors combined, the fish's appetite + the time someone has kept the bichir. Of course, water quality, and tank size plays a big role as well. But anyway some fish don't eat as much so you would definitely need to keep it for a longer period of time to see that bigger size. As for a monsterous appetite one, you would need less time to see that bigger size. For example, a monster appetite Congicus grown from 7" has the potential of reaching 30" in under 6-7 years (depending on other factors stated earlier). While an average appetite Congicus grown from 7" reaching 30" would possibly take 10+ years(Not too sure about this one, haven't seen an average appetite fish get that big.)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Some of the sizes are not up to date though.

I think the main reason why YWC don't get as large is because of two main factors combined, the fish's appetite + the time someone has kept the bichir. Of course, water quality, and tank size plays a big role as well. But anyway some fish don't eat as much so you would definitely need to keep it for a longer period of time to see that bigger size. As for a monsterous appetite one, you would need less time to see that bigger size. For example, a monster appetite Congicus grown from 7" has the potential of reaching 30" in under 6-7 years (depending on other factors stated earlier). While an average appetite Congicus grown from 7" reaching 30" would possibly take 10+ years(Not too sure about this one, haven't seen an average appetite fish get that big.)
You could always update the list and post here :mwave:

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
one reason a YWC may not get so big because during the transition time from wild to home aquarium they don't get enough nutrition because of low amounts of food given by the importer and store for cost reasons and since they are at the age where their fastest growth is then their growth becomes stunted

Reactions: Polyaddict86

The_Airbuster

Feeder Fish
Dec 17, 2020
I wondered if someone might help me identify a species of polypterus?

The species in question occurs at roughly 19:00 to 19:42 of the below video. I've been leaning towards Guinean Bichir but would really like some second opinions.

Reactions: tlindsey

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
I wondered if someone might help me identify a species of polypterus?

The species in question occurs at roughly 19:00 to 19:42 of the below video. I've been leaning towards Guinean Bichir but would really like some second opinions.

Polypterus polli

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store