koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
+1 koltsixx koltsixx what ya tnink ?
I agree it's sticky worthy and I believe I have the ability to make threads a sticky.

Just like I said before I just wish we could compress the Poly Stickies into maybe 3-4 or at very least a lot less then 17 not including this one if I can sticky it. Having so many I believe makes members more likely to scan past them rather then actually read them. One of these days when I get some time and set up my new computer I have to look into it as I haven't been able to yet.

Edit: Stickied

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada

Thank you Magpie, this is the one. I have often thought it would be interesting if all the MFK Bichir keepers shared the size on their mature bichirs so we could get a min, max and average size based off the people on this site.

Another day, another thread.

Back to the OP, how bout those laminated charts.....

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks man. Your always super helpful to us.

I agree it's sticky worthy and I believe I have the ability to make threads a sticky.

Just like I said before I just wish we could compress the Poly Stickies into maybe 3-4 or at very least a lot less then 17 not including this one if I can sticky it. Having so many I believe makes members more likely to scan past them rather then actually read them. One of these days when I get some time and set up my new computer I have to look into it as I haven't been able to yet.

Edit: Stickied

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
There is a few ongoing studies, but I think it's been pretty settled down for while really. Scientifically nothing much has changed getting on 7 years now, just too few people were aware of the changes. :)
It's a shame people lose interest, they're great fish! My favourite has to be wild Teugelsi, what about you?
Well then fair enough, I thought it was recent and they were actively researching and close to finalizing some more but in that case it has already become what it's worth, a sticky ;). And I was one of those ignorant people, as I just thought it was new but it isn't lol. And yea people lose interest in everything eventually. They are great fish for sure. And my favorites are tied between a wc teugelsi and a PBB. Second place would also be a tie between a darker congi variant and ansorgii.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
This guideline was originally composed by King-el I believe.
Cheers, yeah the size data I added on these factfiles was also composed mostly by King El, he wanted a more updated version :)

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
JPMD, thank you this contribution. It obviously took a a great deal of time and effort and the product is reflective of that in its quality. I do feel that this should stickied at the top of the forum. Very cool to see a former MFK Bichir legend King-el's involvement

A comment on the listed Bichir sizes, while it is very interesting to see how large varieties can get it in the while. I feel it would be beneficial to include average and max sizes for aquarium specimens.
At one time, I believe Dr B had posted a chart with this information. It was a great guideline for members to know realistically what size fish and tank sizes they should plan for.

All we need now is the ability to order some laminated posters of your information!
I believe there's too much variation to say sizes people can expect with the amount of regional variants, water volume, genetic diversity etc which is why I added the sizes they max between such as with Lapradei 16-29 inch. I made all assumptions the fish would hit their max known captive size and bought them a 7x4x2ft haha. Whether or not they reach that size is a different story, but buying a fish with that much growth potential, I'm not taking chances lol, so I think new keepers should plan for worst (or best haha) case scenario down the line :)

A study is near concluding at the moment which might describe sp. Dabola as a new species. If or when that does, I'll update the charts and figure out something for printing on here :)

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Well then fair enough, I thought it was recent and they were actively researching and close to finalizing some more but in that case it has already become what it's worth, a sticky ;). And I was one of those ignorant people, as I just thought it was new but it isn't lol. And yea people lose interest in everything eventually. They are great fish for sure. And my favorites are tied between a wc teugelsi and a PBB. Second place would also be a tie between a darker congi variant and ansorgii.
Haha you have good taste. Did you see Mike Wai's dark Congi in the video?

The only notable changes since 2010 were P. palmas polli to P. polli and P. senegalus meridionalis described as a subspecies. Those may of been more recent.

The Dabola study is near concluding, which will be good to see the results :)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Haha you have good taste. Did you see Mike Wai's dark Congi in the video?

The only notable changes since 2010 were P. palmas polli to P. polli and P. senegalus meridionalis described as a subspecies. Those may of been more recent.

The Dabola study is near concluding, which will be good to see the results :)
I wanted to ask you a question about the congicus. Do you think there are any characteristics that seperate or define congi from the different catch locations ? Ive been intrigued with them especially the dark vs light congi. I have two and both look very different from each other from the head/mouth shape to the color (ones dark other is light) both do have the racing stripes in the head though.

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store