Datnoid cloudy eye and possibly Popeye I

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Neither table salt nor epsom salt will not affect bio filtration. It is a small amount, and meant for about 2 weeks. You could increase it on the second day to about 1/2 teaspoon of epsom salt per 10 gallon and treat for one week.

The bath is at 1/4 teaspoon of epsom per gallon is meant to reduce swelling quicker, but only temporary for 30 minutes, and so that it won't stress out the fish too much.

Tony Trapz

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2017
Just out of curiosity, from the pics does anybody know what kind of datnoid I have?

I got him when he was about the size of a quarter, and I think I only paid like 7 or 11 dollars for him.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Just out of curiosity, from the pics does anybody know what kind of datnoid I have?

I got him when he was about the size of a quarter, and I think I only paid like 7 or 11 dollars for him.
You have a Datnoides microlepis aka Indonesian dat-indo.Good looking too,what does it's other side look like?

Tony Trapz

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2017
His body looks great on both sides. His eyes look similar to the one side pictured. But I think we are making progress! Every day he is acting more and more like himself

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
His body looks great on both sides. His eyes look similar to the one side pictured. But I think we are making progress! Every day he is acting more and more like himself
I was referring to it's stripes,are they similar on the other side?

Tony Trapz

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2017
Today is day 3 of kanaplex treatment. And gonna be day 5 of the MB dips. I also have 1/2 tsp per 10 gallons of epsom salt in the tank as well. The fish is eating and acting normal. But the eyes are still bloated and the white in the middle is still very heavy. I'm not to sure what to do. I am obviously going to finish the full dose of kanaplex, but I'm not to confident at this point it's going to go away.

IMG_2701.JPG

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
It may still go away, give the eyes time to heal. Eating is a good sign since that means he can see the food.

Tony Trapz

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2017
So what course should I take for my next plan of action? Yesterday was the last dose of kanaplex. And the eyes look the same. my tank is getting cloudy. It was cloudy when I started the kanaplex as well. Could've been a bacterial bloom. Like I said the tank was only a month old. I'm going to take a sample to the pet store and get it tested. The other fish in the tank are totally normal. And the datnoid stays outside of the hiding spots now and is still gulping pellets down. But physically there's no changes

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
So what course should I take for my next plan of action? Yesterday was the last dose of kanaplex. And the eyes look the same. my tank is getting cloudy. It was cloudy when I started the kanaplex as well. Could've been a bacterial bloom. Like I said the tank was only a month old. I'm going to take a sample to the pet store and get it tested. The other fish in the tank are totally normal. And the datnoid stays outside of the hiding spots now and is still gulping pellets down. But physically there's no changes
Because of the bacterial bloom I'd keep the water level an inch or so lower to get more of a waterfall off the ACs and improve oxygenation.

I would check ammonia and nitrite and post those results. What size water changes have you been performing normally? I wouldn't try another treatment without a large water change first.

What kind of test kit are you using?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store