Best Beginner Fish

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hello JH...

I've had these Comets for some time and they appeared very healthy at the pet store. I feed them a healthy diet and they get large regular water changes. I was told these would be fine in an aquarium setup. I know some varieties of Goldfish can get quite large in large, outdoor ponds, but was told the Comets are a smaller species and would stay smaller in an indoor aquarium. We'll see. I may need to move them to larger quarters.

TTG
You were given incorrect information, Comets are not a small species. They can Easily reach 12" in length and are a heavy- bodied fish

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hello JH...

I've had these Comets for some time and they appeared very healthy at the pet store. I feed them a healthy diet and they get large regular water changes. I was told these would be fine in an aquarium setup. I know some varieties of Goldfish can get quite large in large, outdoor ponds, but was told the Comets are a smaller species and would stay smaller in an indoor aquarium. We'll see. I may need to move them to larger quarters.

TTG
You were given incorrect information, Comets are not a small species. They can Easily reach 12" in length and are a heavy- bodied fish.
The theory that fish only grow to the size of their tank is an inherently cruel one. It is true, but only because the fish's growth becomes stunted by poor water quality, and growth-inhibiting hormones they release. it is not healthy or ok for the fish. Not saying you are intentionally being cruel, you are just misinformed. But I would do some research on the topic before advising others to make the same mistake

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Hello JH...

TTG
Sometimes you get goldfish that just won't grow, no matter what you do. People usually blame this on "bad genetics". I can tell you that I have kept comets that have gone from 1.5" to 12" in two years. I have never kept them longer than that as I really can't house such big fish, and they are easy to give away to people who have ponds.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
The website "seriously fish" has generally good info on size of fish, temperament, diet, size tank needed. It will at least give you a good starting point so you can come back here with your list and ask here again to be sure.

Are you open to ordering online and having fish shipped or do you prefer to get local? If you want to get local, tell us the LFS name and it will narrow things down.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I can try to head to my LFS this weekend and for my tap PH I will keep you guys updated as soon as possible
The best thing to do is check your water quality report for the hardness of your water, PH, and any if there any nitrates and what they are using to disinfect the water, chloramine or chlorine?

Then get your own liquid test kit, like the API freshwater master test kit and the API GH/KH test kit. I would also get a TDS meter. Learn how to test your own water, because you will need to do this everyday as a beginner if you want optimal success.

Now you need a water changing device like the Python no spill no clean as well as a decent water conditioner like Prime.

Reactions: tlindsey and magpie

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe the reason many fish (like goldfish, or any fish for that matter) don't grow, is because people don't change water enough, in the tiny tanks they are kept in, and not because of genetics.
Most fish end up living in a concentrated soup of their own urine, which inhibits growth, along with a host of other problems.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I believe the reason many fish (like goldfish, or any fish for that matter) don't grow, is because people don't change water enough, in the tiny tanks they are kept in, and not because of genetics.
Most fish end up living in a concentrated soup of their own urine, which inhibits growth, along with a host of other problems.
That is true, but very often, goldfish won't grow regardless of water quality. You can buy 5x 2 inch goldfish, and in a year have three that grew to five or seven inches and two that haven't grown at all, when kept in the same tank, with the same food and WC. When you buy the cheap "feeder goldfish", it is more likely to get ones that won't grow than when you pay more for the ones sold as "regular goldfish" or whatever they call them. Maybe it's because they were mistreated when they were fry, maybe it's genetics, I don't know, but some goldfish will hit a certain size and just stop growing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store