10x4x3 900 gallon plywood build w/ pics

dscort

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
NW Ohio
cool two coats, I figured it would take more than that lol , is that even 1/8 inch thick just curious, I still havent done my test to see how it works, but I when i build my tank, I am t hinking of lining it with 1/8 inch pvc sheet and then either using polygem epoxy putty or sanitreds permaflex to seal all of the seams
The fiberglass mat its self is 2 layers. Then more resin on top. The walls are probably a little over an 1/8 think and the floor close to 1/2" thick.

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
cool, thanks for the info

yea , If I do fiberglass I will probably do matt instead of the cloth , I like the idea of it being thicker lol

I always read that fiberglass matt wont work with epoxy resins, but on fiberglassite.com their mat will work with epoxy resin as well as polyester resin.

Box car willy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2015
Winnipeg
I brushed good coat of resin on then laid the glass then wetted it out with more resin. When I came back over with the second coat I could tell the plywood sucked some of the resin up.
The thin resin system I got was about like syrup. Hardley any odor.
Sent from my PG06100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Did you sand in-between coats of resin and matting? Or just go right over top , I'm a body man by trade as well and you would usually sand in-between coats so it would stick to it self ? Or did you just keep going wet on wet ?

dscort

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
NW Ohio
I did all the fiberglass epoxy wet on wet. Cant remember the amount if time it took to kick inbetween coats but it was bad enough sanding the last coat. I sanded w 80 on the da. It killed one whole day just to lay the fiberglass. The fairing compound i mixed to fill the screw holes sanded worse than duraglass. Supposed to be easy sanding but not the case.

Box car willy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2015
Winnipeg
I did all the fiberglass epoxy wet on wet. Cant remember the amount if time it took to kick inbetween coats but it was bad enough sanding the last coat. I sanded w 80 on the da. It killed one whole day just to lay the fiberglass. The fairing compound i mixed to fill the screw holes sanded worse than duraglass. Supposed to be easy sanding but not the case.
Ya I fiugered its best wet on wet or that's lots of sanding in between coats , so u just sanded the last coat for adhesion for the top coat of paint / sweet water ? I'm trying to read as many builds as possible before I build mine and what I'm seeing is in the end epoxy and fibergalss resin and matting / tape always seals best , guys who had issues leaking resort to this in the end any way ! I'm planning a 16 long , 4 wide 3 tall 2x4 stacked construction with 2 vewing glass 1 inch thick , sealed like you and the 1700 gallon shark tank I like hearing that it filled up no leaks first shot , and its still running , im a body man of 15 years plus so I'm not worried about the sealing process , but I just like to read all the builds and get the facts before I start ! Thanks for the replies man !

dscort

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
NW Ohio
I had a couple of saggers in the back wall that needed smoothed out but ya i sanded the last coat of resin for adhesion of the sweetwater. 2 different colors so i knew all was covered. Sweetwater isnt very thick but it seems pretty durable. I dont have any sharp rocks in the tank to scratch the walls and im always careful when cleaning.
Sounds like you have an awesome tank in the works..

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Made it to menards again today... Got a lot of fittings. Still need more but got a good start. Nothing is glued yet. Here's a pic of my four drains. The last one is teed for a drain on bottom and teed for my toilet fill on top. Gonna use the tank water to flush the toilet and fill the tank with fresh water.

Sent from my PG06100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

View attachment 791670
genius pure genius

Reactions: phreeflow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store