125 gallon monster stocking idea?!

Stanv03

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2022
ATL, Georgia
Hello everyone, so I have a 125 US gallon fish tank (LxWxH/72”x18”x21”) and I currently have 2 Oscar’s, 6 silver dollars and a Rhino pleco. I have 2 FX6s running on each end of the tank. And I was considering getting an Ornate or Delhezi bichir, would I be able to do both?

Stanv03

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2022
ATL, Georgia
2 issues
1. The Oscar’s may not tolerate the bichir.
2. It will be difficult for the bichir to get food. The Silver Dollars and Oscars will outcompete the Polypterus for food.
I currently have a blind Endli in there with them and there’s no aggression at all, but due to size that Endlis get I wanted to trade it for either a Delhezi or ornate or if possible both. So aggression won’t really be a problem, my Oscar’s are like 7 inches and the Endli is like 5 and I’ve had it for over 4 months and no sign of aggression in the tank. Sometimes the Oscar’s will stand their ground between themselves but that’s about it. I’ve heard that I could do night feeding or that sometimes bichirs are active enough that will feed with the rest but I want to make sure with others opinions before I make a decision.

Stanv03

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2022
ATL, Georgia
I’ve been considering re homing one of my Oscars because it’s not growing as fast as the other one, maybe it’s due to the fact that it’s an albino and genetics isn’t as good as my red Oscar, and I even had the albino first and was like 2 inches bigger than my red and my red surpassed my albino. So maybe ridding of one Oscar will give me the option of getting the bichirs?

7299D47B-0693-457C-88CE-2D103F8CA683.jpeg

631F1D4B-6F7C-442E-91F4-1F0E3BAE31B7.jpeg

CC6318CC-CD2F-4EE9-B711-145991C23B05.jpeg

67E49A31-76A0-4949-9D9E-BAC34E5264CC.jpeg

EricTheRed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
Both of your Oscar’s look great. Have you considered rehoming the red Oscar and keeping the smaller albino Oscar? It’s hard to sex Oscar’s, but the albino may be smaller because it’s a female. A smalller female Oscar will be happier in the long run in a 125G tank than a larger male Oscar. This would also give you more options with adding in a possible tankmate in the 125G.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
2 issues
1. The Oscar’s may not tolerate the bichir.
2. It will be difficult for the bichir to get food. The Silver Dollars and Oscars will outcompete the Polypterus for food.
+1
I tried an Oscar with some bichirs and it was difficult to feed the bichirs. I was able to do it by target feeding the bichirs but it wasn’t easy and I don’t recommend it

Shane templar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2019
Bristol uk
The way I feed my birchir is to feed the other fish with the pellets first then I’ve got a white thin piece of pipe which I put near my Birchir then drop the pellets down the pipe and when the pellets sink my birchir snaps them up at the end! Just make sure it’s not clear pipe because the other fish will see it going down and they’ll get it at the end!! 🤦🏻‍♂️ hope this helps

Stanv03

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2022
ATL, Georgia
The way I feed my birchir is to feed the other fish with the pellets first then I’ve got a white thin piece of pipe which I put near my Birchir then drop the pellets down the pipe and when the pellets sink my birchir snaps them up at the end! Just make sure it’s not clear pipe because the other fish will see it going down and they’ll get it at the end!! 🤦🏻‍♂️ hope this helps
That’s sounds awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store