125 stocking suggestions?

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
I am very tempted to get a 125 gallon tank but can only think of 1 fish I would really want to put in it, Lima shovelnose. I really want to keep some bichirs and was wondering what species would work in the tank. Also any other catfish I could consider? Thanks in advance :)

Also I have a brand new fluval fx6 sitting around that would work for a 125 right?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I am very tempted to get a 125 gallon tank but can only think of 1 fish I would really want to put in it, Lima shovelnose. I really want to keep some bichirs and was wondering what species would work in the tank. Also any other catfish I could consider? Thanks in advance :)

Also I have a brand new fluval fx6 sitting around that would work for a 125 right?
Could choose some of the upper jaws. Like delhezi, palmas group, moke, retropinnis, and Senegalus. Catfish would be pim blochii or ornates. Any of the wood cats except gulpers and large trachy. Synodontis will work as well.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So a 125g wide? If not then do a 180g the length will matter if trying keep larger upper jaws and potential catfish (they’ll have to be bigger). It’ll hit 20inches given enough time.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The problem is with weight I cant go higher then 125. So I should just go with the standard 18w?
If weight is an issue then go with the 125g. Go with smaller upper jaws and should be fine.

Reactions: Iamfish

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
Ya I was thinking of going with a delhezi or maybe a plat sen if I really feel like paying 300$ atm. Def getting a ornate pim tho they look awesome. The problem I always have with my tanks is picking top swimmers since every type of fish I love stick to the bottom half of the tank. Thanks for the help and suggestions :)

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
You could do a west African theme with bichirs of your choice, African knife fish, rope fish and some Leopard bush fish.

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Ya I was thinking of going with a delhezi or maybe a plat sen if I really feel like paying 300$ atm. Def getting a ornate pim tho they look awesome. The problem I always have with my tanks is picking top swimmers since every type of fish I love stick to the bottom half of the tank. Thanks for the help and suggestions :)
Delhezi is one of my favorites, I am just waiting for my LFS to bring some in. I can't think of any fish that would interest you for mid-top dwellers right now but bichirs aren't always on the bottom. Especially when larger at least IME, my senegal is all over the place all day and I love it! I would definitely do a few delhezi not just one and be sure they are all the same size.
Good Luck with the tank!

Reactions: Iamfish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store