14” Clown Loach in UK

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Nice loaches.

I've never seen a short bodied one, lol, it looks funny.

Also, what type are the yellow barbs on the last video, denison barb variant?

Another question because its the only time I've seen it in someone elses tank.....On the last video at 2:26 there's a denison barb with distorted colouring. One of mine went through a colour transition like that, took several months. It ended up looking like a clown loach, then eventually reverted back to normal colour. At some stage of the transition it looked exactly like yours at 2;26....Do you know why they would change colour like this?

Here is a picture of mine when it was at "clown loach wannabe" stage...

Try feeding the barbs food laced with Astaxanthin powder... or at least Spirulina flakes. This may bring back some of it's bright colors

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I believe 6-10" is average breeding size, as in smaller loaches will not be sexually mature. I don't recall any studies involving wild or captive breeding projects in Borneo or Sumatra where 12+" specimens were even collected.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I agree that they really shouldn't be imported at that size. I'm more impressed by large clowns that people raised from babies than wild caught, even if the latter are larger.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Try feeding the barbs food laced with Astaxanthin powder... or at least Spirulina flakes. This may bring back some of it's bright colors
The barb completely changed colour to yellow with black stripes as in the picture I posted in my previous post. You may have missed it....but it is the barb looking like a clown loach. Then it reverted colour back to completely normal. The entire process took 3-4 months. My barbs are very colourful otherwise. See picture below...
I don't think the issue has anything to do with food or diet. One of your barbs is going through the same transition....

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I believe 6-10" is average breeding size, as in smaller loaches will not be sexually mature. I don't recall any studies involving wild or captive breeding projects in Borneo or Sumatra where 12+" specimens were even collected.
That's because large specimens over 12" , although not unheard of, are very rare, even in the wild, according to the same studies.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
The barb completely changed colour to yellow with black stripes as in the picture I posted in my previous post. You may have missed it....but it is the barb looking like a clown loach. Then it reverted colour back to completely normal. The entire process took 3-4 months. My barbs are very colourful otherwise. See picture below...
I don't think the issue has anything to do with food or diet. One of your barbs is going through the same transition....

I saw the picture you posted.. what I was trying to say was that all my barbs were once completely golden/yellow like some of the ones in the video. Some revert back and forth but if I feed more algae type foods, it seems to trigger the color changes.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
saw the picture you posted.. what I was trying to say was that all my barbs were once completely golden/yellow like some of the ones in the video. Some revert back and forth but if I feed more algae type foods, it seems to trigger the color changes.
Do you really think its food related? I fed the exact same stuff while the barb in question went black stripes with yellow and then back to green. It was just a matter of time rather than the diet in my case. And the rest of the barbs were/are really colourful, more so than majority you'd see around... Same barb is now striking green as well...Their diet was not changed at all....it is still the same....
What your'e saying is interesting, meaning the yellow ones also reverted back to normal barb colour? Amazing because you got the same stuff on a large scale...lots of yours changed colour...while in my case it was only one...I think there's something else at play....not the diet...not sure yet what it is...

Reactions: vincentwugwg

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Do you really think its food related? I fed the exact same stuff while the barb in question went black stripes with yellow and then back to green. It was just a matter of time rather than the diet in my case. And the rest of the barbs were/are really colourful, more so than majority you'd see around... Same barb is now striking green as well...Their diet was not changed at all....it is still the same....
What your'e saying is interesting, meaning the yellow ones also reverted back to normal barb colour? Amazing because you got the same stuff on a large scale...lots of yours changed colour...while in my case it was only one...I think there's something else at play....not the diet...not sure yet what it is...
Mine were all suppose to be 'xanthic' barbs but many revert back and forth.. the only times when they all stay xanthic is when they get a higher feeding of spirulina flakes so my guess was that diet had something to do with my barbs staying yellow. You will notice in this video.. that all the barbs are yellow. There are also a few skinny leucistic barbs that did not make it.

Reactions: Coryloach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store