14” Clown Loach in UK

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
With that water jug being 10.7 inches tall, if nothing else this should end the debate about clown loaches exceeding 12". Lol
As someone who's been a big sceptic in the past (more just waiting for evidence rather than saying it doesn't happen), this is by far the best example of a >12" CL I've ever seen. Based on some [very] rough measurements on the pic with the jug I'd think it's somewhere around 14-15". It's one hell of a fish, again, I'd love to see a video of it in the tank some time!

How often do specimens like this become available? Vincent you're in North America right?

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Anyone know if old big clown loaches still behave the same way as let's say a 4-5" one?

Still love to hang in groups? Stuff themselves in where they can? Sleep in all different ways?

That would be quite the sight

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Cory ..... the jug in the pic. lol You asked to see the jug measured. Vincent posted a link to the same jug, sold at Target, which is a common store here in NA. The specs of that jug were posted in the link. Wake up man, there's no conspiracy here. lol

Hey David, at least we can now put that to rest, I'm sure even Cory can accept the fact that this loach is over 12" total length. :)

Phillip - from what I have seen over the years, large older clown loaches act much the same as younger/smaller versions.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
David, at least we can now put that to rest, I'm sure even Cory can accept the fact that this loach is over 12" total length. :)
Now I just need to see a pic of a 16" Oscar and my life will be complete!
:D

Seriously though, that fish is amazing. I'm sitting here watching my tank refill, looking at my little clowns and trying to picture it.
How often would specimens like that he imported? I imagine there's a fairly limited market for then given the price?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, I'm guessing that Vincent paid a pretty penny for that loach. Go ahead Vincent, spill your guts. We promise not to tell. :)

I have seen lots in the 10" range being offered for sale over the years, but specimens like the one Vincent bought would be uber rare. Several yrs ago a 10" clown loach would wholesale in Singapore for approx. $100-150 US, a loach this size, one could probably name their own price. The only ones I have seen in this size range in person, sold locally a number of years ago for $450 a piece, and they all sold in a couple of days. (there was 3 of them, but I believe one died just prior to sale) But this was in a LFS in Calgary AB, Canada, not the open market with world-wide exposure. I don't care how many pictures one posts, it's impossible to gauge how truly massive a 14+ loach truly is, especially if they are females, with girth that matches the length.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
YI don't care how many pictures one posts, it's impossible to gauge how truly massive a 14+ loach truly is, especially if they are females, with girth that matches the length.
I'm trying to recall the biggest I'e seen in the flesh, one of my old ones was a fat 10"er, maybe I've seen larger in a public aquarium somewhere but it's hard to get a true appreciation of their size when they're in an enormous tank. The jump from 10" to 14" would be massive in terms of bulk [not just length].

Interesting insights into the wholesale side of it, I'm pretty isolated from that aspect here in NZ. Any big CLs we see here have been raised here, I don't think they're ever imported much bigger than 6-7cm.

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
I have the word of the owner which is all I need.

Yes a ruler would back this up and would be great to see but is not necessary for me.

The initial picture was clever bait for the ensuing discussion about how big the Loach was because it was obviously a massive fish but the exact length was in doubt with only the picture to go on until the owner told us. That should have ended the discussion.

Is the fish still alive or has she passed on?

Reactions: RD.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
The initial picture was clever bait for the ensuing discussion about how big the Loach was
Not clever at all....After watching by clown loaches from above for a year, I have a pretty good idea about size vs top view....This loach is not 18 inch.

Well, I am not so easy to convince.

This below is a gar that belongs to Rachel O'leary, a youtube fishkeeper. She has said her gar is around 18 inch....

So is the clown loach as big as this gar?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
How do we know that gar is 18"? Maybe it's over 20"? Maybe over 22"?

I didn't see a ruler or measuring tape.

After watching by clown loaches from above for a year, I have a pretty good idea about size vs top view....
How do we know that? What if you are simply posting vids & pics of someone else's fish? What proof do you have that you even own clown loaches? See how silly this is getting.

15"? 16"? 18?, whatever. Give it a rest. It's the largest clown loach that I have seen anyone on MFK take photos of, ever, period, and I appreciate Vincent popping in to post those photos. I have a difficult time handling 6-8" clown loaches out of the water, so I can't even imagine attempting to get photos of a clown as large as Vincent's, while laying it out across a yard stick, or measuring tape. If he was off by an inch or two, or even (GASP) 3, who gives a rats azz. He's not entering it into the Guinness Book of Records.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store