14” Clown Loach in UK

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
How do we know that gar is 18"? Maybe it's over 20"? Maybe over 22"?
Rachel has mentioned it on quite a few videos. Also, if you watch her poly video, they are too 18 inch. Anyone with a poly can probably attest to that.

I have a difficult time handling 6-8" clown loaches out of the water, so I can't even imagine attempting to get photos of a clown as large as Vincent's, while laying it out across a yard stick, or measuring tape.
I asked the jug to be measured, same one on the picture as the ones on the website aren't the same. There's no way I'd ask someone to take the fish out to measure it for me, lol. I wouldn't do that to my clown loaches....

What proof do you have that you even own clown loaches? See how silly this is getting.
I'll give you proof in 2 secons, lol...and I always give proof to what I am saying...The silly thing is the sheep behaviour I sense around, people being afraid to voice contradictory opinions in case they get kicked out of the pack...Having said that, I shouldn't have expressed myself like that because I'll be the bad one now lol :) .As I said, that clown loach is not as long as half my leg. Yes, it is a big clown loach.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
It's clearly one of the biggest so why wasn't a picture taken of it next to a ruler? There are so many fish stories like this where controversy could have been easily avoided if they had just taken a picture next to a ruler or other measuring device.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
A 30cm/12" steel ruler on the bottom of the poly box would have been ideal, but TBH if I were transporting a fish like that I'd probably have more pressing issues on my mind than an online dick-swinging contest too.
;)

Who cares if its 13.9" or 15.2", it's F---ING massive!!!

Reactions: RD.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
14inch clowns come in regularly these days lol. Monster aquarium has had a few batches of them. Just got to be willing to spend big money for them.

Reactions: RD.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
I have the word of the owner which is all I need.

Yes a ruler would back this up and would be great to see but is not necessary for me.

The initial picture was clever bait for the ensuing discussion about how big the Loach was because it was obviously a massive fish but the exact length was in doubt with only the picture to go on until the owner told us. That should have ended the discussion.

Is the fish still alive or has she passed on?
Last year.. I imported over 70 clown loaches that were min. 30cm... I have 5 left. Most did not make it out of QT (that includes the big one) This first video shows some of the ones (20 or so) that made it out of QT.. and the 2nd video shows 4-5 short bodied loaches that came in the same shipment all 30cm and up.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Nice loaches.

I've never seen a short bodied one, lol, it looks funny.

Also, what type are the yellow barbs on the last video, denison barb variant?

Another question because its the only time I've seen it in someone elses tank.....On the last video at 2:26 there's a denison barb with distorted colouring. One of mine went through a colour transition like that, took several months. It ended up looking like a clown loach, then eventually reverted back to normal colour. At some stage of the transition it looked exactly like yours at 2;26....Do you know why they would change colour like this?

Here is a picture of mine when it was at "clown loach wannabe" stage...

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's too bad that the larger loaches don't take the stress of being collected/transported well. It would probably be a very good idea if Sumatra followed Indonesia and left the larger loaches in the wild for breeding stock. Last number I read for an approx. combined country export was 50 million. At that rate, with a continued focus on larger adults, Sumatra may find themselves in trouble before too long.

Reactions: David R

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
It's too bad that the larger loaches don't take the stress of being collected/transported well. It would probably be a very good idea if Sumatra followed Indonesia and left the larger loaches in the wild for breeding stock. Last number I read for an approx. combined country export was 50 million. At that rate, with a continued focus on larger adults, Sumatra may find themselves in trouble before too long.

Yes.. I believe all of Indonesia has its 10cm max. size for export laws valid 2018 and on. It's not so much that the loaches can't handle the export process... I think their immune systems are super super weak. Even the ones that made it thru the QT started dropping like flies once they were introduced to the main system. All of the ones I had imported were pre-QT for at least 30 days before they were shipped to me. Don't know if I will ever get another chance to import a CL this size... but I sure hope so. Heard rumors of a batch of giant CL somewhere in a pond in Malaysia... time will tell :)

Last edited:

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Also I remember reading that most of the CL that are breeding in the wild are in the 6-10 inch range. But yes.. I do agree.. the bigger loaches should be left in the wild.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store