1600 Gallon Bioshock Octopus Aquarium!

Berky

Feeder Fish
Aug 5, 2016
I would rather wheels than chip board....I know he is glassing it - but if not Perfect - once wet start running - BTW - I am writing this in Mid Jan 2017 and the wheels are still working....But no update here -

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Karlotious

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2015
That's why perfection is key! I never understood why people suggest once it gets wet.... if plywoodwas to get wet it would also end disastrously! No wood should get wet regardless of osb or plywood. I chose Chipboard because it absorbs much more resin than plywood. It has superior sheathing to plywood and only sacrifices 10% in stiffness. As for the update I just finished fiberglassing the entire aquarium though. It took time to create a perfect barrier. Im onto the epoxy, and finishing with marine paint. Ill take pics once its ready for water :)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's why perfection is key! I never understood why people suggest once it gets wet.... if plywoodwas to get wet it would also end disastrously! No wood should get wet regardless of osb or plywood. I chose Chipboard because it absorbs much more resin than plywood. It has superior sheathing to plywood and only sacrifices 10% in stiffness. As for the update I just finished fiberglassing the entire aquarium though. It took time to create a perfect barrier. Im onto the epoxy, and finishing with marine paint. Ill take pics once its ready for water :)
Awesome. This is going to be cool

Karlotious

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2015
Berky i hope i didnt offend you. That wasnt my intention. I think a fair amount of risk is always a good thing when attempting something new. I was more suggesting that the wheels would grind into the floor before the tank itself was damaged. I hate naysayers they hold back progress! We should encourage anything that pushes our boundaries.

Reactions: dan518

Karlotious

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2015
Finally finished the fiberglassing (4 layers). Ended up taking 9 gallons of resin so much more than i originally thought. Next step is to do a final sand and apply the max acr epoxy. After that the epoxy paint then the panels! I'll take some pics after its painted. Im hoping to have water in it by spring. Sorry i had other projects going on and didnt really have time for my obsession haha

Karlotious

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2015
Haha polyester resin. I'm moving on to the epoxy resin now. Only doing two gallons of that due to price lol

ikkie78

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Neenah, WI USA
Awesome idea for an aquarium and love the Bioshock theme! Very creative!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store