180 g Acrylic set up

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
I think you will be happy with the results I have never had to go to crazy with the sanding as stated I would take it slow. It is a good product.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I finally cleaned the tank with Novus 123( finished it the day of the Superbowl...so it has been a while). How many times should I rinse it out to make sure the product is out? What I did was rinse it and then vacuum it out with a wet/dry vac(HVAC?). Wondering if I should fill it up all the way?

Tried sanding the sump with a 1000/1500 sand block and it looks hazy now despite me doing the whole Novus 321 system. My guess is I need to get a finer grit like 2000 and work up from there and redo the entire system? Has anyone encountered this issue?
MAKE SURE YOU TEST THE SANDER ON AN AREA THAT IS NOT THE TANK FIRST!!!!!!

This brings me to my next point: I want to place the 180g where I currently have the 55g. To move the 55g, can I do a fin-level water change,(leaving about 3 inches of water in the tank) put it on sliders and slide it about 10 feet? I don't want the tank to explode. Thoughts?

Reactions: Matteus

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
TBH I have used Novus 1 & 2 with fish in the tank and the water level lowered. I have had no ill effects from it...I would just rinse it well one time. I wouldn't worry too much about it. No insight on moving tanks sorry.

• Wow
Reactions: clm08k and Matteus

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
It's not super safe to move the tank with water in it. That being said I have done exactly what you are asking with no ill effect. I had no issues with the novis or sanding but I did use a finer sand paper I think I started with 1500 then 2000 the 3000 then novis. And yes always test sander on something not the tank.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I finally cleaned the tank with Novus 123( finished it the day of the Superbowl...so it has been a while). How many times should I rinse it out to make sure the product is out? What I did was rinse it and then vacuum it out with a wet/dry vac(HVAC?). Wondering if I should fill it up all the way?

Tried sanding the sump with a 1000/1500 sand block and it looks hazy now despite me doing the whole Novus 321 system. My guess is I need to get a finer grit like 2000 and work up from there and redo the entire system? Has anyone encountered this issue?
MAKE SURE YOU TEST THE SANDER ON AN AREA THAT IS NOT THE TANK FIRST!!!!!!

This brings me to my next point: I want to place the 180g where I currently have the 55g. To move the 55g, can I do a fin-level water change,(leaving about 3 inches of water in the tank) put it on sliders and slide it about 10 feet? I don't want the tank to explode. Thoughts?
That should work fine. Just make sure your stand is up to the task as it is a top heavy load and a flimsy stand could buckle when sliding it around.

Reactions: clm08k

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Your going to have to start from scratch again on the sump. When I wet sanded my acrylic I used 250, 500, 1000, 2000, then finally finished with 3000 before starting with the novis 1. If you don’t wet sand enough the tank will always be hazy in that spot. The 3000 grit took the longest to use because of how fine it is. After the novis 1 should clean it up from there. If you miss a scratch you need to start the whole process again from scratch.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Only rinsed the tank once after using novus polish, and filtered the new water with carbon for 1 week, just in case.

I slid my acrylic 110g tank (no sliders) on tile with about 3 inches of water above 1" of sand substrate , and had no issues. I made sure to remove the canisters to reduce the weight.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Could someone please help me with picking out a heater(s)? I love my Hydor 200W in my 55g (shatter proof, high-quality, idiot-proof etc.).

1. What size heater(s) do I need? I'm guessing two 300watt?
2. Where do I place the heater(s)? Can I stick a heater in the wetdry filter/sump?

Please advise. Thank you!

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Could someone please help me with picking out a heater(s)? I love my Hydor 200W in my 55g (shatter proof, high-quality, idiot-proof etc.).

1. What size heater(s) do I need? I'm guessing two 300watt?
2. Where do I place the heater(s)? Can I stick a heater in the wetdry filter/sump?

Please advise. Thank you!
Yes put the heaters in your sump, and I'd say yes 2 300w should be good.

Reactions: clm08k
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store