180g/700l half filled

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I still am in the research department, but I believe I'll need 1.010 if I want Toxotes and Monos with a couple Gymnothoras tile. I'm afraid most if not all of these plants will die in that salinity. :(

I'm even thinking of "falling" plants in baskets above water, but it seems pretty annoying to make and really isn't the same. Plus I would need to water them only when I can top up evaporation (since salt doesn't evaporate), which might be a bit "meh", even in 100% humidity...

I'm not having much hope for live plants INTO the water anymore. :(

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Aren't those growing intensively?
I heard things about the root system being so big it breaks aquarium glass or even unseals it.

If it's easily kept trimmed, I'd love mangrove, those would be perfect replicas of Toxotes natural biotope, but I can't risk breaking 180gal of water into my apartment. :p

I've looked into it a bit, but it looks like every single mangrove tree is 3 to 5 meters high for the smallest. I could cut it down and only allow smaller branches, but the roots is what worries me in the long term.

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
Well I can only share experience with red and black mangrove.

With red you'll need patience to see substantial growth. Starting with propagules you'll propably cheer and get a case of beer to celebrate every pair of leaves you'll get.

Black grew faster in my setup, but certainly not uncontrollably.

Just start with propagules and you'll get to bonsai the shapes of them.

As to the roots, I've heard the stories, too. But can't confirm them on my experience. My blacks grew roots everywhere, in between the hardscape and glass an all. But the tank has never leaked.
Not to say it can't happen.

You're so right!
Mangroves would make your setup perfectly biotopic and with a bit of planning the aquascaping possibilities are huge.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I found a guy selling 5 red mangroves with at least 2 leaves on them for like 15€.
At least I don't have to wait quite as long!

He says it can grow unrooted, at the surface since it can only be 1/3 into the water?

I hope it'll eventually reach a point where it can be into 35cm of water, otherwise it's going to be awkward. :p

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Good price.

they will grow roots down to your sand bottom in a while, and support themselves.
Hopefully my last question (I doubt it, but hey, hope's alright, right? ;) ):

Should I add a layer of 2,5 cm of substrate under my sand, or will sand be enough? It's not pool sand, it's actually something along the lines of 0.5 mm.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
If you have an estuary near you, you can get plants there. Just make sure to treat them to kill off hitchhikers before putting them into your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store