180l tank ideas

Twiggy104

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2017
I have a 180litre tank that I have a ran for a couple of years now and fancy a change, I was told I could maybe over stock a mbuna tank or look at a lake tang tank. I’m looking for a tank full of personality but preferably not a single fish tank? Happy to consider non-cichlids too and any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: tlindsey

Twiggy104

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2017
Mainly a range of barbs & tetras, was just after something with a little more personality.

Thanks for the suggestion I did have Lake Tanganyika suggested to me today will have to look into it it a little more. I know shell dwellers can be quite entertaining. However will have to look more into A.Compressiceps & Calvus “personalities”

Tanganyikans would work well in that size tank. A colony of shell-dwellers like occelatus with a pair of A. Compressiceps or Calvus, would be my vote.

What have you kept in the past, that you want a change from?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Welcome Lewis!!

What are the dimensions of your tank to give you the best advice.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
You have a few options with mbuna. A ps. Saulosi species tank could work or 2 smaller breeding groups of labs, rusties, or cynotilapia. You don't want any species that gets too aggressive. The saulosi could be 3males/9-10 females. For the others I would pick 2 and have 1m/4f each.

For lake Tang, you could do shellies with a pair of rock dwellers like Calvus, comps, or Julie's

Twiggy104

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2017
Thank you james99,
I’ve heard that about lake tang a few times and is definitely something I will consider.

In terms of mbuna are you saying 5 labs and 5 cynotia to make up the tank? As I was told to massively overstock at my LFS?

Twiggy104

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2017
I’m not totally ruling out a community tank and would appreciate any ideas on a diverse and exciting community tank!

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I’m not totally ruling out a community tank and would appreciate any ideas on a diverse and exciting community tank!
What kind of community tank are you talking about, one with all different sorts of barbs and tetras or something else. I would probably stock the tank with some South American fish, dwarf cichlids and a big group of tetras as well as some Cory cats and maybe a nice small pleco

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store