2 Baby silver Arowana together?

NiTro RJ

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2017
Waynesfield, Ohio
I bought 2 5" a few days ago, I have them in a 75 gallon tank until they are ready to take on my 210, 2 hours ago they were just fine and when I went to go to bed the one was wrapped around the filter, as I scooted him off he look like he had been nipped and started to nose dive twirl to the bottom of the tank, they are tank mated with 9 1" tinfoil barbs... what would have caused this? Did the one nip at the other and kill it?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I bought 2 5" a few days ago, I have them in a 75 gallon tank until they are ready to take on my 210, 2 hours ago they were just fine and when I went to go to bed the one was wrapped around the filter, as I scooted him off he look like he had been nipped and started to nose dive twirl to the bottom of the tank, they are tank mated with 9 1" tinfoil barbs... what would have caused this? Did the one nip at the other and kill it?

Very possible even small they have attitude and are territorial but still fragile so can stress very easily.

NiTro RJ

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2017
Waynesfield, Ohio
Would it have been that fast though? I have a power head in the tank with them to justify currents and what not. The ph of the water in Kentucky was a 7.6 and a 8 in my tank, water is clean as a whistle with all conditions in perfect condition

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Would it have been that fast though? I have a power head in the tank with them to justify currents and what not. The ph of the water in Kentucky was a 7.6 and a 8 in my tank, water is clean as a whistle with all conditions in perfect condition

Unless the current was too strong and the Aro got stuck to the intake I still wouldn't be surprised if the other Aro was the culprit.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Unless the current was too strong and the Aro got stuck to the intake I still wouldn't be surprised if the other Aro was the culprit.

Btw if the aquarium wasn't properly cycled I would rule out the parameters Aro's are pretty hardy and adapt even in water with a ph of 7-8.

NiTro RJ

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2017
Waynesfield, Ohio
Btw if the aquarium wasn't properly cycled I would rule out the parameters Aro's are pretty hardy and adapt even in water with a ph of 7-8.
The aquarium was cycled for about 2 months as I was well cautious and preparing for these fish, I have disposed of the other who was not fully dead but was wounded to the point where he couldn't swim properly and was within picking range of the tinfoil barbs

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The aquarium was cycled for about 2 months as I was well cautious and preparing for these fish, I have disposed of the other who was not fully dead but was wounded to the point where he couldn't swim properly and was within picking range of the tinfoil barbs

You did the best thing I personally never heard of nursing back a baby Aro once its damaged like that. Sorry for your loss.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It's all a learning curve, just sucks to dispose of such a high quality and pricey fish.. I must say when I do have problems you are the one to respond... thanks for all your input!

You are not alone if I added up the pricey fish that I killed I would be furious.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store