2000 gallon indoor Build

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agree with Russ. To me, it's about aesthetics, no danger in function or safety.

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
Well probably the last update. I broke down and bought the pond camera. I went with the Barlus from amazon. It’s pretty sweet!

I have it streaming to a monitor on my desk. It’s not cheap but it makes the pond incredible now and it can’t leak like a window.

Barlus H.265 5MP POE Underwater Camera System with 1TB HDD CCTV Underwater Camera HD Surveillance Under Water Cameras Night Vision Easy Remote Access
https://a.co/d/1gWH3rq

90141525-9B06-4E2D-A660-0D1D6D10202B.jpeg

8391068C-5BAD-474B-BDBC-12A811B12F52.jpeg

F4586D8A-CDDC-4391-8F6F-094C05A1DD20.jpeg

6D332758-083F-48F8-AA15-588D12F852DB.jpeg

FerdosSintol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2021
Instead of using standard 2x4s, you might want to consider using thicker boards, such as 2x6 or 2x8, for the vertical supports. This will provide more stability and reduce the risk of bowing. In addition, consider adding horizontal braces between the vertical supports at various heights to further reinforce the structure.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Nice build! You did a really nice job laying and folding that liner to get a beautiful smooth finished interior. I recently added that type of liner to an 8-foot tank of mine that had its epoxy inner sealing surface damaged while the tank was empty. I probably could have more easily just repaired the damaged spot with more epoxy, but I had a piece of black liner material just big enough to reline the whole tank and I went that route. The epoxy in that tank was blue, and I have regretted that colour choice since about two days after I filled the tank a few years ago. I took this opportunity to switch to my favourite interior colour...black...and couldn't be happier. But...despite using individual panels of liner material glued together at the seams to make a waterproof whole...I did the crappiest job in the world; wrinkles, folds, you name it. Yours looks terrific. Wonderful setup with the camera as well. :)

One comment/suggestion: The ends of the top cross-braces look to be fastened down with screws or lag bolts that go right through the liner wrapping the brace as well as the top edge of the pond liner. I've come to believe that every individual molecule of water in an aquarium spends its entire existence trying to get into places where you don't want it to be; much like all the water molecules on your roof, or in the soil around your home's foundation. It if were me, I would be tempted to run a nice bead of sealant all the way around the joint between the brace and the top of the wall, to prevent water creeping in and eventually reaching the wood around the screw holes and rotting it out.

I certainly hope you are kidding when you say that this is the final update! :)

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
Might have another update soon as i’m thinking of adding 2” of pea gravel to the bottom of the pond. By square footage its a literal ton of rock. Should be fun. I think this will help with water clarity and of course a stronger cycle. I’m also debating adding some California black worms to help break down waste.

what does everyone think?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I had river nugget substrate in a 4000 gal basement pond 40ft x 6ft x 3ft in our previous life in Rochester, NY. I remember it was a lot of work vacuuming the gravel, too much work for my current taste.

No experience with any worms in substrate.

Reactions: Dead-pool

motorg525

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2022
anything you would do different if you built it again? im thinking about copying your build

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
I’d say don’t add the panels they were a bad idea and detritus trap. In the build build i’d have added the 2x4 braces through the walls not just kregg drilled in place. It’s running great with no issues. 100% over built but it helps me sleep well at night. I currently run it with no tops at all on it. The filtration with the settlement chamber require some tweaking but now i have very clear water and no filter pads. Looking forward to your build and i’ll follow along!

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
Well due to the wife wanting to change my office to a guest house i’ve been rehomed to one of the garages. Disassembly of the 2000 has started. Though only up for 6 months this build easily would last years.

everythi Looks brand new. Although the barrels with no filter floss wasn’t great and ended up being a huge detritus trap. About 2” in barrels 2 and 3.

IMG_1910.jpeg

IMG_1909.jpeg

IMG_1908.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

IMG_1839.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store