Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
Have a light I bought used for soft corals
20lbs live sand
Established cleaner crew
Penn plax 1000 canister filter
Need budget coral and fish stocking ideas! Thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Any suggestions for coral or fish? I want a star fish and a clown but don’t know what else to put in

Tbh it's been years since I had a reef setup and things are done differently now. I tagged a member who I know will get you going in the right direction. Also use the search bar and see what info you can retrieve until others chime in.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
Tbh it's been years since I had a reef setup and things are done differently now. I tagged a member who I know will get you going in the right direction. Also use the search bar and see what info you can retrieve until others chime in.
Thanks!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Most starfish will eat coral. But a few are ok linka, brittle star, serpent, fromia. The problem with putting them in a "nano" reef is not enough food.
Corals I would recommend zoanthids, pulsing xenia, anthelia, shrooms, might be able to do some lps like acans, lobo, candy cane, nothing with super long "tentacles" as they will sting other corals.
Ive said it before and I'll keep saying it til the day I die clowns are the devil. But its your tank and your skin. Here are some other nano fish options.
Firefish are my favorite nano fish just need a top of some sort screen works great.
Gramma, gobies, pygmy angels, small wrasses, basslets( most are jerks so use with caution), chalk bass.
There are tons of nano fish available you just need to seach for them. Id do a net search and see what you like the look of and report back here and maybe someone will have had experience with it. I would also recommend with any fish in that size tank get a screen lid most nanos will jump including clowns. I have had a ton of saltwater fish in my life and alot of different corals too so if I can help I will.

Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
Most starfish will eat coral. But a few are ok linka, brittle star, serpent, fromia. The problem with putting them in a "nano" reef is not enough food.
Corals I would recommend zoanthids, pulsing xenia, anthelia, shrooms, might be able to do some lps like acans, lobo, candy cane, nothing with super long "tentacles" as they will sting other corals.
Ive said it before and I'll keep saying it til the day I die clowns are the devil. But its your tank and your skin. Here are some other nano fish options.
Firefish are my favorite nano fish just need a top of some sort screen works great.
Gramma, gobies, pygmy angels, small wrasses, basslets( most are jerks so use with caution), chalk bass.
There are tons of nano fish available you just need to seach for them. Id do a net search and see what you like the look of and report back here and maybe someone will have had experience with it. I would also recommend with any fish in that size tank get a screen lid most nanos will jump including clowns. I have had a ton of saltwater fish in my life and alot of different corals too so if I can help I will.
Ok so i won’t get starfish just to be safe, I will send a picture of my light once I get back to the house to make sure it can handle those corals, and I will start researching nano fish and let you know what I find... Thanks for the help!

Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
Geometric Pygmy Perchlet
Firefish
Bicolor Blenny
Orange Spotted Goby
Royal Gramma Basslet
Maybe a shrimp??
And I do have a glass lid

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Gotta be careful with glass lids because it will slightly cut down on light getting to your corals. Ive had all those fish. Id suggest that if you get the bicolor blenny that in that tank he needs to be probably the only fish. Can be territorial. Cleaner shrimp are great. I had a 12x12x12 tank that had a purple firefish and a cleaner shrimp it worked out great. You could get 3 regular firefish and a cleaner shrimp in that tank easy. If you can find a small hob skimmer that would work wonders in your system also.
Yes post up pics or stats on the light.

Dennis Kraemer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
Gotta be careful with glass lids because it will slightly cut down on light getting to your corals. Ive had all those fish. Id suggest that if you get the bicolor blenny that in that tank he needs to be probably the only fish. Can be territorial. Cleaner shrimp are great. I had a 12x12x12 tank that had a purple firefish and a cleaner shrimp it worked out great. You could get 3 regular firefish and a cleaner shrimp in that tank easy. If you can find a small hob skimmer that would work wonders in your system also.
Yes post up pics or stats on the light.
image.jpgAny idea what these are I just caught them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store