240 Gallon Build thread

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
From what i have found anything other then the really cheap pumps will have threads on the input so that they can be used outside of the sump. Another way that you can have it set up is to have the water overflow into the sump go through the sump and then you have the canister filters intake in the end of the sump and used them the return the water back to the tank.
I believe the canister return option for sump won't work, as fluval says the canister must be below the water level or something? I'll just look around for some pumps

Reactions: Thomas18

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Finished reinforcing the floor today. Existing 2" X 8" stayed, then put 2" X 4"s and 12 upright 4" X 4"s. How many pounds do y'all think this can hold now haha?

Also started wrapping the stand. Ran out of materials on the final stretch

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: Thomas18

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Rained out again. Finishing off the stand wrap when the sun comes out, and drilling the holes for returns. For acrylic is there any specific type of blade I need to look for?

After that I will be hooking up the canisters and start looking for a 40 gallon breeder. I will sketch out a design, and post it on here to see your guys opinion if it will work

image.jpeg

Thomas18

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2017
Australia
Any kind of hole saw that can cut wood works well with acrylic you just need to go slow and not push too hard or it will crack it.

Good luck
Thomas

Thomas18

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2017
Australia
They both have their pros and cons

Number one looks like it would be easier to clean due to it havng a dedicated section for mechanical cleaning and it also has the ability to hold more water and submerged media. But one downside is that because it holds more water you need to be more careful with the water level in it, you need to make sure that you leave enough room for the water that comes down from your tank.

Number two on the otherhand has alot of room for airated media which is highly efficient at remooving amonia and nitrite quickly, also having the room for a refugium is helpful as it allows for another means of nutrient exportation and in the event a fish is being picked on you have somewhere to put it so that it can recover. This depends on what fish you are keeping and the size of the refugium. Another benefit of this is that you dont have tobe so causious about the water level in the sump because in that design it will probably always be at or bellow half way.
On the contrary this design has less water in it and doesnt provide as much stability to the system.

Personaly i dont like to tell people that you should do this or you shouldn't do that. I would rather give people information that that it helps them to make a more informed decision by themselves so that they know what they chose is what they think is best for them.

Anyway i hope that this has helped you give you some insite into what you would like to do with your sump.

Good Luck
Thomas

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
They both have their pros and cons

Number one looks like it would be easier to clean due to it havng a dedicated section for mechanical cleaning and it also has the ability to hold more water and submerged media. But one downside is that because it holds more water you need to be more careful with the water level in it, you need to make sure that you leave enough room for the water that comes down from your tank.

Number two on the otherhand has alot of room for airated media which is highly efficient at remooving amonia and nitrite quickly, also having the room for a refugium is helpful as it allows for another means of nutrient exportation and in the event a fish is being picked on you have somewhere to put it so that it can recover. This depends on what fish you are keeping and the size of the refugium. Another benefit of this is that you dont have tobe so causious about the water level in the sump because in that design it will probably always be at or bellow half way.
On the contrary this design has less water in it and doesnt provide as much stability to the system.

Personaly i dont like to tell people that you should do this or you shouldn't do that. I would rather give people information that that it helps them to make a more informed decision by themselves so that they know what they chose is what they think is best for them.

Anyway i hope that this has helped you give you some insite into what you would like to do with your sump.

Good Luck
Thomas
Yeah sorry for my bad drawings, I will make some more detailed drawings. I want to do trickle tower and Refugium, but also want to have submerged media and enough room for pump/ heaters

Forgot to mention, both drawing sump tank are the same size, max I can fit is 40" X 20" X 18" high

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Based on the options I prefer the separate mechanical chamber with socks. It still occurs, but less prone to getting detritus on the bio media as comapred to felt pads directly on top of media.

I assumed both design is with the same sump size ability to handle water volume are very close anyway.

Reactions: M@T!@$

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Based on the options I prefer the separate mechanical chamber with socks. It still occurs, but less prone to getting detritus on the bio media as comapred to felt pads directly on top of media.

I assumed both design is with the same sump size ability to handle water volume are very close anyway.
I like the filter sock option, but also want some bio filter and Refugium for plants. I'll make another sketch today

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store