240g Acrylic tank build thread (PIC HEAVY)

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Okay here's a pic, and more info. Open to any/all advice here.
When I put the sanded plywood top on, I ran a square over it and it seems flat as could be. Then I put the tank on it tonight and on the right side, there's a gap. I was wrong about 1/4", but it is at least 3/16" see pic ...

Now here's the other thing. The whole stand/tank is no leveled. I pushed it back in the spot it's going. but the right side (where right side gap between tank & stand is) the floor is about 3/8" lower there, so I have to level the tank once ready. But still, the stand is sturdy, so even though it's 3/8" lower on the right side, that should not affect the top of the stand should it?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
If it were level I would say that gap would be fine and the stand settling should accommodate that gap. But if the stand is not leveled I wouldn't risk it. That could mean uneven support on a seam and not just a square stand issue. Just my opinion though.

Door shims are cheap and easy to slide under the stand. Leveling is super easy for the ease of mind.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
How did you secure the top? I just put a stand together this past weekend and only used a few screws on the plywood top. It was slightly bowed but the weight of the tank flattened it out. Is there a measurable distance in the thickness of the plywood at the end with the gap? Once you shim the stand if it is still a problem, you can shim between the stand and the plywood top in the problem area.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I'm glad you asked about how I secured the top plywood rob because it looks like that was the issue. I secured the plywood down with only a few countersunk screws, and one of them was right there in that right front corner. So I just slid the tank back and removed that screw to see if maybe the screw was just compressing the plywood in that area and sure enough that was it. It's now flat again the bottom of the tank. So most likely once water weight goes in then it will equally compress the whole surface of the wood then. So just got to level out the stand now and then I can test fill it.

Reactions: robham777

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Wow, that is an amazing difference. Nicely done, and I am glad you posted those pictures. If I ever have the opportunity to purchase a large acrylic I won't get hung up on a few blemishes.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
About how long did it take to get those results? looks very good!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store