240g Acrylic tank build thread (PIC HEAVY)

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Thanks. Yep pretty much what I ended up doing. I used composite shims and did a full base under each of the 8 vertical uprights, then spaced the rest out about every 6". Worked out pretty well, I expected to hear some noises from the stand maybe during the initial fill up but never made a sound so I think it's all nice and fully supported. It's always fun shimming a long tank on the basement floor of a 1950's built house. I think the contractor back then must have been drunk :D

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Thanks. I use a combination of things. Mainly just a normal 9" fishing fillet knife to start, then a 6" hot wire foam cutter, a small hand foam shaping tool that is like a little scraper, then for detail & texture work I use a wood burner with spade bit and a heat gun.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Nice progress Steve. Do you work off a sketch or picture when doing the backgrounds?

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Thanks. I usually do just a real quick drawing of how I think I want it to look ahead of time just to give myself a basic general idea of where I want the main focal points to be. With that said I do wander away from my initial plans quite a bit during the actual build process.

This is the quick drawing I did before I started this one. As you can see it's nothing super detailed at all. Just something to give me a basic idea of where I wanted the caves and the stalagmite and such to be place. Then I just somewhat "wing it" from there on out :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store