3.5" tubular steel

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Looking good,cant wait to see it completed.

Steve

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Shrink wrapped before drywalling

Last pic of the front of the stand before it was walled in
We should have welded tabs on the stand--it would have made skinning in the stand a lot easier. Since they didn't want to drill into the stand, they had to crawl under there to build a wood form to attach the plywood which covers the front of the stand. We'll be sure to remember to do that next time. :)

We were able to move the tank/stand with a pallet jack.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Plumbing of the system should start in the next couple of months. Informed my husband yesterday that he has 31 bulkheads to deal with. The overflow boxes/tank have 20 holes, plus I had them put 11 holes for 1 1/2" PVC on the top of the tank for my additional mechanical filtration.

The sump will be partially under the platform we built to access the top of the tank. The floor of the platform are doors that can open up so we can get to the filtration underneath.

Reactions: Dloks

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Are you going to be able to feed from the front? I had a built in tank at my last house, the only thing I will do different next time is put a small access hole in the front for feeding.

Love this build! Can't wait for water :)

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Are you going to be able to feed from the front? I had a built in tank at my last house, the only thing I will do different next time is put a small access hole in the front for feeding. Love this build! Can't wait for water :)
No, the tank is walled in. This week we started framing the tank in. Wainscoting for under the frame, and 9" crown molding on the top of the frame should be here next week.

I wanted the tank "picture framed" in the wall.....I got my wish. The small trim was added to the inner edge of the framing. Think it's going to be really nice when it's finished and painted.
So all our interaction with our fish will have to be from the sides or top of the tank....can't have everything.....

BTY, the middle railing on my platform is removable, and was placed there to keep me from falling off the platform. We should have good access to the filtration under the platform. Got so much filtration planned, that some of it will be on the floor on the sides of the stand.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
:drool: Stunning! Can't wait to see it filled. You are getting close!

What size plumbing were you planning to use? I ask because I spoke with the owner of Reeflo and he recommended using a minimum of 2" pipe for Hammerhead pumps (3" would be even better). He said that 1.5" plumbing will add head pressure (reduce flow). What I don't understand is why the inlet and outlet on the Hammerhead's is only 1.5" if they recommend using 2"+ pipe for the returns.

In any case, your setup looking amazing!

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
:drool: Stunning! Can't wait to see it filled. You are getting close!

What size plumbing were you planning to use? I ask because I spoke with the owner of Reeflo and he recommended using a minimum of 2" pipe for Hammerhead pumps (3" would be even better). He said that 1.5" plumbing will add head pressure (reduce flow). What I don't understand is why the inlet and outlet on the Hammerhead's is only 1.5" if they recommend using 2"+ pipe for the returns.

In any case, your setup looking amazing!
Going with 1.5" black PVC in the tank. Not anticipating any problems. For 6 1/2 years we've been running a Hammerhead with PVC necked down to 1" on our 300 gallon tank. The Hammerhead has performed flawlessly. I wanted to go with three Hammerheads, but my husband thinks with 1 1/2" PVC we will have great output with the two Hammerheads. I think we will have a swift current in the tank (the pacu love the strong current). There will also be two Barracuda Golds running the two Ultima 4000s. We will have three returns strategically placed at different levels in the tank to maximize water circulation. One Barracuda Gold will have to handle the 8 dinky 1/2" returns that have 1" holes drilled in the overflow boxes and tank (I didn't know the tank builder was going to do that additional favor for me.) We either have to plumb those 16 holes or cap them off...at least cap off the 8 in the bottom of the overflow boxes. An additional eight small returns won't hurt anything.

On the three planned returns, we will be using Venturi return nozzles. There's no aquarium supplier that has 1 1/2" return nozzles. I was starting to get frustrated in my search, so checked the return nozzle on our 300 gallon tank. Years ago, the guy who sold us the spa filters also sold us the return nozzle. I shouldn't have been surprised that it was a spa part.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The spa return just spits the water out. Water change time on the 300 gallon tank. Hammerhead with 1" PVC:
[YT]7v2Vyr5NbNs[/YT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store