OscarLover1254

Feeder Fish
Dec 17, 2017
I am fairly new to fish keeping, but I got myself into a predicament... About two months ago my therapist recommended I get fish to help me focus on something other than myself. Well, my mom came with me to pick out the fish and she saw two baby oscars. I didn't want them at first because I saw the size tank that they needed, but my mom said that didn't matter.. I bought my babies Becky and Chad. They almost died the first night I had them, I put them in a 3 gallon tank when they were both 1" long. I stayed up all night with them because they were breathing very heavy and did research on them and realized the situation I got myself into with them. I bought a 30 gallon the next day and a 60 gallon a month later. I grew really fond of my babies in that month and they really had been helping me with my mood. Every time I'd have a breakdown I'd go watch them and they' help me. Every time I'd go into the LPS and walmart I'd go to look at the oscars because they're so adorable. I didn't think I'd be getting anymore, but I saw one at my LPS with her left pectoral fin and caudal fin ripped apart. She was the one being bullied the most- I watched them for ten minutes and it was clear how scared and stressed she was, she was almost completely black. The owner of the LPS sold me Mia for half price because of her damage. A week later I was at walmart and saw baby oscars again. Well, this time there was a tiger oscar with a visible deformity of his lip. I'm not sure what caused it, my boyfriend and I call it a derp lip lol. But he was smaller than all the others in the tank and he wouldn't leave the side of the albino red oscar in the tank. I bought them together. Currently I have my 5 oscars in the 60 gallon tank which I am well aware is too small. They're wonderful fish and whenever I cry and go to the tank, every single one comes up and won't leave me alone until I give them kisses and start smiling. I literally can't bring myself to get rid of them...

So, I would like to build a tank to house my oscars and possibly more in my basement in a 3.5'x12' nook. The floor is cement, so I know it will hold any size tank I put there. I was researching how to go about building the tank the past few weeks that I've had all my oscars, however I think I need some help and opinions. I'd like to make the tank out of plywood due to it being a bit lighter on my bank account with one front viewing panel. I was mostly looking for other inputs on the things I will need to build the tank (like thickness of the plywood and glass/acrylic) so that it will support the weight of the water and what I should use for filtration, circulation, and heating (preferably DIY).

There are so many options out there and since I'm new at this, I'd really like someone else's input on this. I'm trying to do everything I can for my babies and I've gotten very routine with their water changes, I've educated myself on their needs, and I want to be a better fish keeper. They're very happy, colorful, healthy fish. They just need the right tank!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ion-of-diy-plywood-tanks-load-warning.288821/
Lots of info on what to use and how to do it. Also (even though I don't like him) you can you tube king of diy and his build of a plywood tank and his current cement tank. May give you some insight. As for filtration go with a sump, filter socks and a good old fashioned wet dry tower. Since you are building it you can do just about anything you want. As for heating it's going to be easiest to use electric heaters. But there's ways to diy that too. Figure out your base build then worry about that.

Reactions: NathanKS

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
oscars definitely have a lot of personality and fishkeeping has always been a meditative activity for me as well.

the project you're considering will test your carpentry and plumbing skills as well as your fishkeeping skills though. jumping from 60 gal to around 1000 is no joke. as someone who has had varying levels of success with upgrade projects, take it from me: do not skimp on costs, materials or cut corners. if its half-@$$ed, it will inevitably fail, and with a tank this large the effects could be quite chaotic.

not trying to scare you off just trying to save you potential stress in the future.

i would consider all your options first, such as a nice glass tank of around 200-300 gallons for your oscars. if youre still set on the big plywood tank though, lay out everything ahead of time. draw schematics, gather all materials, and have a timetable for your build set. consider filtration, heating, lighting, and energy costs for a tank of this size and stock before starting anything.

all in all though it sounds very exciting. good luck.

Reactions: Leebtattoos
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store