300 Gallon Plywood tank build

filiportela

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
portugal
looking very good... can't wait till it's finished ;)

Sturgeon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
last house on the left
I love your tank, the stain is awesome and the stand is just as nice! This inspires me to build a plywood tank around the same size, 300G +/- for my Asian red tail.
Great work, its a true masterpiece

maxumis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
South Africa
Hey guys, I thought I'd share this shot of my tank's moonlights. I think it looks pretty cool.
The lids are open because I had to patch a couple of spot on the lids with epoxy.
IMG_0118.jpg

maxumis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
South Africa
Just a quick update.
Pics of the lid.
2TankLid.jpg

The glass strips protect the lights from water splashing on them
3TankLights.jpg
4TankLidOpen.jpg

Before tiling the step
IMG_0162.jpg

After tiling the step
IMG_0321.JPG

devlyyn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2007
United States
Man, that tank makes those silver dollars look TINY. And is that a bala and some angels too? Great job on the build. What is the total height of the tank? It looks to be around eye level when standing. And lighting... 2 x 4ft light strips?

Ben_Jam_In

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
WI
nice tank so what did you decide with now you have it running. i can see angels silver dollars ballas and an aro.

maxumis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
South Africa
The stock list of this tank isn't quite what I planned on, but I suppose one never knows when keeping monster fish with monster personalities.

I originally wanted the Aro, CK, Oscar and catfish in the 300Gallon, but the Oscar was just too aggressive. So he got moved to my 80Gal tank and the inhabitants of the 80Gal got moved to the 300Gal.

Stock list at the moment:
1 x Silver Aro (approaching 12")
1 x Clown Knife
2 x Common Plecs
2 x Sun Catfish
4 x Angels
4 x Silver Dollars
4 x Bala Sharks

Everyone gets along 99.9% of the time.

As for the total height of the setup... about 6' 1". That's the reason for the step; to ease feeding and cleaning.

Lighting isn't up to what is should be. I'm only running 1x3' and 1x2' lamps. I'll look into upgrading that bit at a later stage, but I must admit I'm liking the chilled out vibe the "dimly" lit tank gives the room.

KABB44423

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2007
Hollywood,FL
maxumis;1136327; said:
Thought I would do a quick update on this thread.
Here is how the tank looks at the moment. The second background is in and repaired. I'm planning on curing the backgrounds for 2 weeks before I'll attempt putting in any fish.
View attachment 128826

This is a pic of a 300gph pump behind one of the backgrounds.
View attachment 128827

The pump feeds these undergravel jets.
View attachment 128828

So I can stuff the back of the backgrounds with filter material and thus have my backgrounds function as filters :)
pretty good thinking on that one:popcorn:

devlyyn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2007
United States
A lot of the amazon fish like subdued lighting anyway. Plus plants wont last long with SDs so why not just leave it like it is if you are fine with it. I'm a fan of large tanks with smaller fish so I think your stocking is cool. Maybe you could add a few clown loaches as well?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store