300 gallon setup/sump build

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Stand pipes are in place tank is filled and pumps are running. I remember jc1119 mentioning how surprised he was at how little he had to open the gate but my lord i am totally shocked its barely opened i could have probably gone with 1 in plumbing and a 1.5 inch gate for the siphons and been fine. pumps are on setting 4 may go down to setting 3 but im gonna play with it some more.

One of the overflows is taking on more water than the other why woukd that be ?
I think what you are experiencing is what I've noticed and discussions on this forum regarding large plumbing. I think it's safe practice and I would have gone 1.5" as well, but you do end up closing at the gate valve at least half if not more. Hence opted for three, 1" drains. Edit: also notice the weir teethe can be the bottle neck to overfliw flow based on how high the return is running. I'd test the max capabilities just to know.

Your tank is levelled and i would not mess any further, and I suspect it will settle in mm on carpet. I suspect that the varying flow to each overflow is attributed to the water return flow and dynamics of water. That is, it may be how the current is and happens to reach one overflow before or more than the other. This was one reason why I thought two gates would provide for better adjustment too.

Regarding carpet...I dont know what all the concerns are really. It will settle, carpet padding and all, imo. Honestly jaws, I'd be more concerned about not having your sump sitting on top of anything like what I or Travis did. That carpet looks nice too.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I think what you are experiencing is what I've noticed and discussions on this forum regarding large plumbing. I think it's safe practice and I would have gone 1.5" as well, but you do end up closing at the gate valve at least half if not more. Hence opted for three, 1" drains. Edit: also notice the weir teethe can be the bottle neck to overfliw flow based on how high the return is running. I'd test the max capabilities just to know.

Your tank is levelled and i would not mess any further, and I suspect it will settle in mm on carpet. I suspect that the varying flow to each overflow is attributed to the water return flow and dynamics of water. That is, it may be how the current is and happens to reach one overflow before or more than the other. This was one reason why I thought two gates would provide for better adjustment too.

Regarding carpet...I dont know what all the concerns are really. It will settle, carpet padding and all, imo. Honestly jaws, I'd be more concerned about not having your sump sitting on top of anything like what I or Travis did. That carpet looks nice too.
Cool im done playing with the leveling. I cannot believe how quiet this is and i havent even messed with the stand pipe height. The E drains are 1/2 inch below the bottom of the overflow teeth both siphons are fully submerged and arent sucking air. There is less than 3/4 inch difference in water level in the overflows but i honestly may just leave it be or mess with it another time. All i really hear is the slight trickle from the water falling into the overlfow which i kind of like.

Left side
20170219_113125.jpg

Right side
20170219_113115.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Plan on finishing yhis up today.
-Add the sand, rocks, and fake plants,
-set up the ranco and heaters thanks Woefulrelic Woefulrelic
- make a pen out of eggcrate to hold water lettuc in the sump
-arrange wirring.
-glue returns to bulk heads

Reactions: Woefulrelic

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Looking good. It is amazing how quiet it is isn't it? Do you know what kind of flow you're running right now?
Man travis i just went to check on it and thought the pumps died or i lost power but it was all good in the hood !

No but will take some measurements and a guesstimate of what the setting is putting out and maybe you guys can calculate it ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
DN328 DN328 was thinking about the water level in the overflows. Possibly caused because the stand pipes are slightly off from each other ?

Or maybe because the left side siphon drain is a smidge lower than the right when coming out of the bulkhead ?

If i lowered the siphon stand pipes would that require me to close the gate even more ? Or is the level dictated by the amount of flow being retricted by the gate and the water level in the overflow will stay the same ?

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Why ? Uh oh ?
I take my statement back. You don't have monsters that slam into tank lids generating tsunamis which end up as large puddles on the floor, or create such violent wave splash action that there is sometimes water on the window 5' away. And you will never refill your tank and overfill by about 25 gallons :) ....... I have to get the hardwood floor in the living room refinished after the fish are moved to their big tank :( Tsunami generators and carelessness on my part make me wish my tank was on a bare cement floor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store