330 gallon setup and sump build

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Im looking to copy J jaws7777 300 gallon build he did. So with 1.5" gravity drains I am looking at 1400 gph. I think he was looking for 1331gph out of his build initially so I know mine will be higher with 30 more gallons added on to that
Can you remind me, are you wanting a herbie setup and do you need the setup to be very quiet?

Also, I run about 1600gph with my two DCP 8000's, so 1400 should be no problem.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Can you remind me, are you wanting a herbie setup and do you need the setup to be very quiet?

Also, I run about 1600gph with my two DCP 8000's, so 1400 should be no problem.
I will be running a herbie style set up and would like for it to be as quite as possible. Girlfriend always complained about the FX5 I had running on my other tank with how loud it was. But thats good to know

Do you like your DCP pumps?

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Imo these pumps are all adjustable and wont be a huge difference between dct, dcs, and dcp or what ever new model they come out with next week lol go for what is gonna get you near the gph range your looking for and whats most cost effective.
Yea looking at the most cost affective. If I can get the DCT or DCS close to $100 a piece I will probably go that route since I would rather not spend $150 for the newer pump that would be larger. Want to run at a low setting so its not loud obviously as you know. Trying to order these today to get my butt moving with the rest of the filtration

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I will be running a herbie style set up and would like for it to be as quite as possible. Girlfriend always complained about the FX5 I had running on my other tank with how loud it was. But thats good to know

Do you like your DCP pumps?
If you're running a herbie setup, I would recommend spending the additional on the DCP pumps. The fine adjustability on them makes tuning the herbie very easy. I don't even have a trickle in my emergency drain because I can back down or bump up my pumps so slightly that I can get the water line to just under my emergency drain.

I like my DCP pumps very much. At this point, I can't say enough good things about them. They are completely silent and really move a lot of water for their power usage.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
J jaws7777 Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis do you guys run the dual controller at all? I forgot to ask
I never knew there was a dual controller, so no. Lol

Here's a picture of my controllers mounted in my stand.

IMG_2094.JPG

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I never knew there was a dual controller, so no. Lol

Here's a picture of my controllers mounted in my stand.

View attachment 1253355
I do like being able to adjust the increments on such a small scale like your saying so its definetly a thought. Might need to take another day to research them some more. I just like that I can find the DCS 12000 for about $110 a piece right now.

And I only found out there is a controller because I ended up on fish streets website and they seem to be the only ones that have it lol. Learn something knew every day

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I do like being able to adjust the increments on such a small scale like your saying so its definetly a thought. Might need to take another day to research them some more. I just like that I can find the DCS 12000 for about $110 a piece right now.

And I only found out there is a controller because I ended up on fish streets website and they seem to be the only ones that have it lol. Learn something knew every day
Best prices on them is on EBAY or Amazon.

As far as what I mean by tuning the herbie setup, you can use regular ball valves and adjust them close to what you need for your flow rate, then, instead of having to try to make extremely tiny movements with the ball valve handle, you can just press a few buttons to bump the pumps up or down. I had to tune my setup with non adjustable pumps when I initially setup my tank and it was a pain. Then, evaporation throughout the week would cause my drains to need adjusting again before the next water change. Now that I have my DCP pumps, I usually bump them down a few percent when I top everything off after a water change. Then, throughout the week when I start to notice a few bubble noises, I bump the pumps up a percent and all is well for a few more days. I usually bump it up a percent two or three times between water changes and then start all over on water change day. I haven't touched my valves in months.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
also what setting do you have your DCP-8000s at Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis ? I just want to run my pumps at the lowest setting I can get to prevent noise as well as not wear them to much. Wondering if the DCP-10000 with 2640gph would be ok or if I had to go up to the 15000. Obviously want to be overpowered

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
also what setting do you have your DCP-8000s at Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis ? I just want to run my pumps at the lowest setting I can get to prevent noise as well as not wear them to much. Wondering if the DCP-10000 with 2640gph would be ok or if I had to go up to the 15000. Obviously want to be overpowered
I run mine at 56-60% each. I keep them even.

What is your total flow rate goal?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store