330 gallon setup and sump build

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Needs to be above 1400gph. and I would say roughly with a 33" stand and a 30" tank, 5.5'?
Is that 1400gph total, or per pump?

Also, what do you think your water height will run in your pump chamber because this can be subtracted from your head height?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
1400 total. And probably about 10" in the sump
You can do 1400 total with two DCP 8000's. I run 1600 total on mine, about 800gph each pump, with each of the pumps running at about 60%. Your head height also sounds pretty close to what mine is. I have a 35" tall stand, 30" tall tank, and the water level in my sump is about 12". Very close dimensions there.

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
If you're running a herbie setup, I would recommend spending the additional on the DCP pumps. The fine adjustability on them makes tuning the herbie very easy. I don't even have a trickle in my emergency drain because I can back down or bump up my pumps so slightly that I can get the water line to just under my emergency drain.

I like my DCP pumps very much. At this point, I can't say enough good things about them. They are completely silent and really move a lot of water for their power usage.
jvc66 jvc66
Being able to change the settings in smaller increments is a moot point. The gate valve is what needs to be tuned. So again just go for whats cheaper dcp sounds like a great pump but so is the dct and im sure the dcs is just as good. Imo wether there are 10 speed setting or 100 they are both going to be in the ball park and i could see not even using the smaller increments....example :
Pump is running at 1000gph you tune your gate valve, achieving silent siphon how is adjusting the pump to 1010, 1020 ir 1030 gph going to help ? It isnt. Especially since you plan on joining the drains into 1 gate.

Get either of them as long as it can be adjusted your fine since the small adjustments are being done at the gate valve anyway.

Dct is silent, dcp is silent, im sure dcs is quiet but maybe find someone who uses them to chime in or comment

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Pumps are ordered. Decided to test out the Jecod DCS-12000 since they are supposedly upgraded from the DCT model and were a good price at $110 on amazon.

J jaws7777 and I have been talking offline about gate size for my build. In his he ended up using a 2" gate valve on his 1.5" siphon drain. I would like to try and keep it all the same size and stick to a 1.5" gate. Any suggestions? and feel free to chime in Frank

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Pumps are ordered. Decided to test out the Jecod DCS-12000 since they are supposedly upgraded from the DCT model and were a good price at $110 on amazon.

J jaws7777 and I have been talking offline about gate size for my build. In his he ended up using a 2" gate valve on his 1.5" siphon drain. I would like to try and keep it all the same size and stick to a 1.5" gate. Any suggestions? and feel free to chime in Frank
I ised a 2 inch gate only out of inexperience lol. See i figured both 1.5 inch siphons would need the larger gate but after seeing how little the gate is opened i feel like you woulf be fine with the 1.5 inch gate. I want ragin_cajun ragin_cajun to chime in before you make any decisions based off my advice. I'd rather be proven wrong than give you bad advice

also looking in to getting heaters and my controller. ordering from http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html . Going to get the ETCI-1R with an additional outlet installed. Any sugggestions for good heaters?
Meh all these heaters fail eventually find one that lasts let me know lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store