~335 gallon plywood build

605caddi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
PNW
Before I disappoint anyone there are no construction pictures yet, because I haven't started. Saturday will possibly be day 1 of actual construction, assuming that I do not go sturgeon fishing... If I do Sunday will be the day I start.

(cliff notes at bottom)

Anyway on to the subject at hand. The dimensions of the tank will be 6' x 3' x 2.5' for a total of 336.6 gallons. Filtration will be a ~85 gallon sump (plywood as well) although I have not figured out what pump to use yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Here is a 3D image (google sketchup) of my plans for the tank:

The top brace will be a single sheet of 3/4 plywood (I should mention the entire tank will be 3/4 ply) with a 8" center brace, and 4" lip around the rest of the tank. Viewing area will be a 3" lip all around. Glass will be .5" from a local company. I'm not 100% which direction I'm going to go for epoxy on the inside. On one hand Pond Armor is well known as a good product, but its crazy expensive. Then there is the Permi-Dri I've been reading about which is much cheaper. I was quoted $107 shipped for a gallon, where as the Pond Armor was close to $300 for a gallon. I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has any?

My biggest concern so far is my design for the stand. Here is the image of what I was thinking of doing.

It's all done with 2"x4" construction because it would mean I would have to buy less material (I would only need to buy 2 more 10' lengths to have enough material) However I'm concerned that maybe it will not be strong enough? It has to support 2,827 pounds, which will be more like 3200 after it's all said and done I think. That picture is the skeleton, will be skinned with 1/4 plywood on all the sides and have 3/4" on the top and for the floor (for the sump to sit on) and have doors on the front and side for accessing the sump.

Stocking... Well I'm building this tank for the sole purpose of wanting a Lima Shovelnose cat. So aside from that I have no idea what will go in this tank. I really like catfish so possibly a Black Lancer cat? Maybe a shoal of Silver dollars? Tinfoil barbs? Silver Aro? I don't know, I'm going to let MFK decide for me. :nilly:

Cliff notes:
-Building 336gal 6x3x2.5 plywood tank
-Need suggestions for pump for the sump
-Pond armor, Permi-Dri, other?
-Will my stand design be able to hold 3,200 pounds?
-Stocking will be catfish, open to suggestions however a Lima Shovelnose cat is a must

Thanks for looking. Expect an update on Sunday at the very latest. I may be able to get started Thursday depending on how work goes.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Maybe check out my build thread in my sig. I'm building a tank of very similar size. With many of the things you've mentioned.

Your stand is way overbuilt. As is mine. I used 2x6's which is larger then your 2x4's but I have only a center brace in addition to the ends.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Agreed, You could puit a car on top of that stand,

For my Plywood build I am fairly copying Muni's plans but I will use 2 center braces instead of one because I am going for an 8' tank rather than 6' (not sure that makes a whole heck of a lot of difference) But I was told for strength to brace every 24".

Wish I could give you and idea for the sealant, I am not sure what I am gonna use yet, Prob Marine Epoxy,

Good Luck, I cant start til the first of the year But will be watching:popcorn:

Bear

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Design looks good so far. Your stand will be fine, it is plenty strong enough.

605caddi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
PNW
Thanks for the info guys, and after looking at Muni's thread I may make some changes to the stand design to save on material and weight. I'm not much of a structural engineer so I wasn't sure how well built my stand would be. ;)

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
My stand is heavy. Probably 400 pounds or so. Myself and my brother were barley able to get it moved around in one piece. In the future I'll be taking my 1" MDF top off if I need to move it.

605caddi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
PNW
Muni;3687277; said:
My stand is heavy. Probably 400 pounds or so. Myself and my brother were barley able to get it moved around in one piece. In the future I'll be taking my 1" MDF top off if I need to move it.
Doesn't Help that MDF is ridiculously heavy. :nilly: Also you sheeted the sides of your stand with 1/2" ply if I'm not mistaken? I should be able to shave a few pounds by using 1/4" and 3/4" for the top. However I fully expect the stand to weigh 350+/-lbs. That's what dolly's and nylon straps were made for.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
400lbs???? What are you guys building these things out of, concrete? LOL

I had a steel stand for my 500 and it couldn't have weighed more that 200 lbs. The stand I built for a 220 probably weighed right around 80-100lbs. Maybe I'm stronger than I think. haha

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Mine is made from used 2x6s and the top deck is a piece of 1" MDF that I had. I faced the front with 1/2" birch plywood so I could attach doors to it. The two sides are 1/4" so pretty light there.

The killer is the MDF though. I intentionally did not fill in the screw holes so it could be removed but didn't take it off when I moved it. Go figure. It was a struggle but we got it.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
For my 250 gallon build I am building the stand in 2 4' pieces. One for getting it moved, and also weight. Easer to move 2 100# sections rather than 1 200# section.:naughty:

Bear

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store