40 Breeder Stocking help!

johnnygromis

Feeder Fish
Nov 3, 2022
I'm currently cycling a new 40 breeder tank. I'm fairly experienced this being my sixth tank. But I'm extremely indecisive. I wanted to do a Chidongo saulosi colony but there sold out everywhere. I was thinking about a pair of convicts but now I want the tank somewhat planted. In other tanks I already have appistos, blue rams, EBA's, firemouths, Parrots, angels so I want something other than those. Just wanted to hear some suggestions of somewhat larger fish ideas that would go well in a 40 breeder. It's currently running with a sunsun 302 and a sponge filter. Will aquascape more based on what fish I decide on but I'm leaning towards a planted tank. IMG_9570.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm currently cycling a new 40 breeder tank. I'm fairly experienced this being my sixth tank. But I'm extremely indecisive. I wanted to do a Chidongo saulosi colony but there sold out everywhere. I was thinking about a pair of convicts but now I want the tank somewhat planted. In other tanks I already have appistos, blue rams, EBA's, firemouths, Parrots, angels so I want something other than those. Just wanted to hear some suggestions of somewhat larger fish ideas that would go well in a 40 breeder. It's currently running with a sunsun 302 and a sponge filter. Will aquascape more based on what fish I decide on but I'm leaning towards a planted tank. View attachment 1506061
Other than Cichlids are there any odd ball species you like?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Are you looking for something that’s more of a community fish or a solo wet pet type?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
One thing that comes to mind for me is the red wolf fish. Not the most colorful, but still a very good looking fish. They aren’t super intelligent but will always be greeting you by the glass waiting for food.
Alternatively, they are a challenge, but either Amazon or schoutodini puffers would be good for that size tank and are an interesting, fun oddball.

johnnygromis

Feeder Fish
Nov 3, 2022
I do love amazon puffers! the spotted congo is a little bit out of my price range. The red wolf fish i've heard is pretty aggressive. is that true or would he be the only species in the tank?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My red wolf is in a 36 bow front - I couldn’t imagine him with anything else. He tries to attack me when I clean the tank. I know others have similar experiences. You’d definitely be limited to just him.
With Amazon puffers, you can mix them with other fish as long as the others are passive and won’t steal food too greedily (cories, tetras, etc.).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store