400g build

Devaji108

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Oh while you are at it. I would fix the pluming. not sure the duct tape is about but from my experience you really dont want and chance of water leaking. even if its a slow leak or drip it could cause lots of damage over time.

hope that did not come off mean or sounding like an ass, just looking out for a fellow fish geek :D

Reactions: Matteus

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I thought silicone wouldn't adhere to cured silicone?

Or is this okay due to the "freshness" of it?
Tbh i just don't know. I have some silicone on order for a prospective full reseal. But I figured i would try a patch while everythings still in new condition and see if it works in the meantime. I was kinda on a roll with this build, leak stopped me in my tracks, had to try something.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
One thing you might want to try is scraping the silicone where it leaked and carefully ever so carefully use acetone to thin the surrounding areas. Should stick since it will be in a gummy state.

That is my experience with bath tub silicone sealant and fixing leaks. Just a thought.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Oh while you are at it. I would fix the pluming. not sure the duct tape is about but from my experience you really dont want and chance of water leaking. even if its a slow leak or drip it could cause lots of damage over time.

hope that did not come off mean or sounding like an ass, just looking out for a fellow fish geek :D
The duct tape was just there to hold the piping in place while it cured. Everything is sealed with silicone.

Also, everything will be tested for at least a week before i slide the tank into place to ensure there are no leaks.

Last edited:

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
One thing you might want to try is scraping the silicone where it leaked and carefully ever so carefully use acetone to thin the surrounding areas. Should stick since it will be in a gummy state.

That is my experience with bath tub silicone sealant and fixing leaks. Just a thought.
That is an idea. I did clean the area with acetone prior to patching it, but didn't apply enough of it to do all that. Worth a try if this doesnt work though i think.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
That is an idea. I did clean the area with acetone prior to patching it, but didn't apply enough of it to do all that. Worth a try if this doesnt work though i think.
I have used some different sealants to fix a numerous list of issues.

Another thing that just hit be is a new age automotive grade sealant. They make stuff now used on BMWs that supposedly can handle mach 3 speeds. Yet to be tested but sounds like it could handle the pressures you're looking at. Might be concerned with melding into the existing material.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I have used some different sealants to fix a numerous list of issues.

Another thing that just hit be is a new age automotive grade sealant. They make stuff now used on BMWs that supposedly can handle mach 3 speeds. Yet to be tested but sounds like it could handle the pressures you're looking at. Might be concerned with melding into the existing material.
Ive had some success with partial silicone patches but also failures. One of my garage tanks, a 150, is holding strong for 6 months now with a patch i put directly on top of the old seal. So i know its feasible, but not something i would recommend as a permanent fix.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store