45g predator tank: Do you think this is overstocking?

BillyMaysChickenWings

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2020
Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a lot of experience in freshwater aquaria, and recently I've been very tempted to try salt.

I found a nice 45g cube-styled aquarium on LiveAquaria, measuring 26.5" x 22" x 19". Can't post a link because this is my first post, but it has a skimmer, sump, heater and all that good stuff built in, and I was wondering if this stocking would be acceptable:

1x Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish (Dendrochirus brachypterus) [var. yellow]
1x Fu Manchu Lionfish (Dendrochirus biocellatus)
1x Bluefin Lionfish (Parapterois heterura)
1x Golden Dwarf Eel (Gymnothorax melatremus)
1x Debelius' Reef Lobster (Enolometopis debelius) I'd love a puffer, but a puffer would kill my lobster, and I'd rather do a lobster anyway.
1x Hogchoker (Trinectes malculatus)

Please tell me if this is overstocked, and if you think it is, please tell me your ideas of what to change.
I'm always open to fish suggestions.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I would personally choose one of those fish and stick with that.

Cichlid23

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
For one that's one hard to find and expensive stocking. But as far as over stocking maybe just drop 2 of the lionfish and do enough water changes and you could make it work.

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Provided adequate room dendrochirus actually swim quite a bit for dwarf lionfish. I'd personally pick your favorite looking or species and just have one in there unless you get a bigger tank.

If you are looking for a small predatory tank maybe look into some hamlets or psuedochromis. They are fun to watch and pretty personable in my opinion, not to mention vibrant colors.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

BillyMaysChickenWings

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2020
Provided adequate room dendrochirus actually swim quite a bit for dwarf lionfish. I'd personally pick your favorite looking or species and just have one in there unless you get a bigger tank.

If you are looking for a small predatory tank maybe look into some hamlets or psuedochromis. They are fun to watch and pretty personable in my opinion, not to mention vibrant colors.
Good suggestions. I'll consider those. Also, 360g brackish? Sounds interesting, have pics?

BillyMaysChickenWings

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2020
For one that's one hard to find and expensive stocking. But as far as over stocking maybe just drop 2 of the lionfish and do enough water changes and you could make it work.
Thank you for the advice, I should have realized the lion thing was sort of overkill. They're all about 6"-7", and they can definitely find their way around.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I agree with the above feedback, you shouldn't stock a marine tank with as many fish as if it were freshwater. If that makes sense. Saltwater typically does well with lighter stocking. I would choose one lionfish from your list with the others.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Curious, do you have a person who could get you a blue fin lionfish? As far as I'm aware of they're rare or at least highly uncommon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store