~475 Plywood Build

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Wow great build. After all this time with it up and running have there been any issues with it? Leaks or anything of the sort.

Also if you were to do it over what would you change to make it better suit your needs or maintain easier?

This makes me want to save my current 180 for a build like this. My wife hates you right now. Lol jk

Reactions: TexasMFK31

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Wow great build. After all this time with it up and running have there been any issues with it? Leaks or anything of the sort.

Also if you were to do it over what would you change to make it better suit your needs or maintain easier?

This makes me want to save my current 180 for a build like this. My wife hates you right now. Lol jk

No issues with the tank itself. The sumps is on it's 4th iteration I believe. I needed acrylic due to needing the drip system overflow and the 75G from Petco was NOT drillable. Learned that lesson the hard way. I would add feeding holes into the euro bracing on the top since the plexi can be a pain to move. I would also do a closed loop with an Ultima II 1000 instead of the sump with corner filters in the back to hide heaters inside the tank itself. This would do 2 things, 1st get the heaters in the tank yeah not an eyesore. 2, remove the handful of accidental floods that occurred during the trial and error engineering. The upgrade is going to be closed loop with an Ultima II 2000, with the corner filters and go to an overhead sump. Keep an eye out for that, and this tank I am possibly going to knock down to 3' wide instead of 4' with a solid back to put against a wall. Those are my thoughts and lessons on the system. Having the sump behind the tank instead of underneath was the best decision I made though, for sure.

Reactions: Matteus

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Would you happen to have a picture of what the 2" 90 degree overflow set up looks like? In the process of designing of a 8x4x3'h 720 gallon and could use some help with the plumbing :)

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
View attachment 1397444

This is the initial iteration. I say that, because there have been 5 iterations on this system with it's current iteration being an Ultima II 1000 which I wish I had done from the get go. The longest iteration was a single main drain to the sump, then the other 2" drain as extra protection in the event of a flood.
This was the one that gave you issues with too much noise right ? I was more getting at what you did to decrease this. I think you mentioned adding 90 degree pipes on the inside ? Also, thanks for checking out my build thread haha. I have a bunch of questions there so feel free to provide any feedback!

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Oh, I do not have inside photos. I used simple 90* elbows in my bulkhead to adjust the tank water height. Externally I ended up going with a gate valve in order to get a siphon and remove the air. I would try and mimic a bean animal system if I was you. Well actually, if you can get the Ultima and closed loop, although I know that is a pricey option.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store