50G planted tank setup journal

codyish125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
oc
Looking great brotha..ima bust out my cam..cuz you're pics look sick my phone can't handle..but yea i love that grass look.you sir have some patience :D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thank bro for your kind words :)

Although i have to admit luck did play a huge part in this tanks setup

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Yup, and i was / am lucky enough to know a couple of guys that are pros at planted tanks over here too...

In fact the planted tank phase really hit HK hard quite a few years back and a lot of store owners here have come in the top 3 for ADA competitions over the years...

The guy that actually taught me a lot about setting up my tanks actually came first in the XL tank category and got a few 2nd and 3rd places prizes fir his smaller tanks :)

what's his name ? i am a big fan of cliff hui but i heard he quit aquascaping

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I don't have the guys business card on me right now, but his last name is Tseung i think?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Okay, found his name, its Mr. Cheung Siu Wai

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Thanks for the comment, but why not try setting up a small planted tank for yourself?

Honestly, when i first started thinking about planted tanks i was quite thrown off by how difficult everything seemed, but once you do a little research and ask a few questions, you'll find its actually not that hard to pull something like this off if you have the patience...

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
Wow. I aspire to have a tank like that someday. The colors are so vibrant and healthy! Roughly how much did the whole project cost? You don't have to be exact, just a rough estimate if you don't mind..

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
A very very rough guesstimate off the top of my head i would have to say everything included (filters / chiller / Co2 kit, shrimps etc)

Probably around USD $1500 - 2000

Although i really would need to go through this whole thread to get a more accurate guess...

Not to mention a lot of it was added slowly as needed, so didnt feel quite as bad when setting it up...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store