55 Gallon Tank

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
So as some of you know I am getting a 55 Gallon aquarium (second tank).

I've been looking on Craigslist, Letgo, and Offer Up. So far all of them are either super expensive or super broken/dirty.

I was wondering if I could get a price on how much it would cost if I was to build the tank myself.

Also the stocking is going to be:

1 male Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid

3 female Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids

1 male dwarf Gourami

10 neon Tetras

1 male Bristle Nose Pleco

1 female Bristle Nose Pleco

2 angelfish (I know the will get big and eat neons and stuff but I have kept them before and they were just fine with the neons)

1 other similar size fish (possibly a little giant Gourami)

3-5 yellow Mystery Snails

The tank will be filtered by 2 sponge filters both that are made to filter 30-50 gallons of water.

I will have plenty of caves for Cichlids and plecos. (Pots)

So I want to know how much it would cost for the silicon and glass (plus anything else I would need for the building of the tank) I will continue looking on the websites but if I can not find a good one I will end up having to build one.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Look around in the DIY projects and Ideas section here. Lots of people have built tanks here and outlined the process and materials, costs, etc.
My personal advice is that it isn't worth it for a 55 gallon tank. You will definitely spend more money on materials than you would on a tank. And building a water-tight tank is harder than it might sound, not worth the effort for a small tank. Call your local Petco and ask about their dollar a gallon sale. You could get a brand new 55 for 55 dollars.
The stocking looks good, but please don't get a giant gourami! They get huge, and if you are having trouble finding a 55, imagine how hard it will be to find a 200+ gallon tank at a reasonable price.

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
pet supplies plus, if in your area , is having the dollar gallon sale right now.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Alright thanks Gourami.

I have never heard of a pet supplies plus store so no I am not located near one.
Thanks though

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
usually petsmart or petco will offer 55s for around $100-200 shipped. also right now hayneedle is running a good sale on acrylic tanks. you can get a new 55g acrylic shipped for a little over 300.

https://www.hayneedle.com/product/clearforlifeaquariumrectangle.cfm?ltype=child&tid=AAT016-30

ive never tried them though so im curious about their service.
I found this the other day, it's through Walmart.com but same supplier. The 55 gallon flatback hex is only 234 shipped!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clear-Fo...rceid=csebrutp&veh=cse&wmlspartner=bizratecom
I ordered one for myself. I have seen clear for life tank reviews, they look great. Though if price is the main concern, the OP can probably buy a brand new glass 55 for less than that from petsmart.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
See I am wanting to by the tank and stand for $100 or less. I mean I got my other one for free sure it took some time but I cleaned it up and it has been just fine...
called petco they said they just had there dollar per gallon sale and they would not have one for a while... maybe I will wait. Will see.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I found this the other day, it's through Walmart.com but same supplier. The 55 gallon flatback hex is only 234 shipped!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clear-Fo...rceid=csebrutp&veh=cse&wmlspartner=bizratecom
I ordered one for myself. I have seen clear for life tank reviews, they look great. Though if price is the main concern, the OP can probably buy a brand new glass 55 for less than that from petsmart.
wow the flatback is even cheaper. my hex tank is a clear for life. great tank so far.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Anyone know if acrylic tanks are good? I have a chance to get 1 that comes with everything I need but stand (canister filter like fluval or something) for $100

Is that a good deal?

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Depending on the condition and size, sounds like a deal to me. Acrylic tanks are stronger and withstand more than glass tanks do. I like the way they look personally. But the downside is they scratch pretty easily. So keep that in mind. Got any pics of it or other info?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store